sand collapsing even with very high iterations

2518   4   0
57 posts
i have a sand sim on a plane with a central indentation for the area where my collision object will rise up from below, so there is much more depth there.

when i crank the detail (0.003 is the lowest (highest) ive gone. ) , the central area completely collapses down to about 1/20th its original height.

there are no particles falling through the ground object.

ive tried with iterations up to 5000, and dopnet substeps up to 10, with those settings its taking about half an hour per frame, and it doesnt seem to improve. this is a sim with about 8 million particles.

i cannot believe for a minute the pile is anywhere near 5000 particles deep even in the centre.

ive tried disabling mass shock, ive tried disabling constraint averaging. ive played with scale kinetic.. nothing seems to help.

attached is the file and source geometry. its set at lower settings than the maximum i tried, but still quite slow to sim, and really collaps-ey.

any help most appreciated.

Attachments:
collapsing sandpit.rar (1.9 MB)

57 posts
here is a quicktime of the typical result.. this is with 1500 constraint iterations and 2 substeps.

Attachments:
sand_collapse.mov (2.2 MB)

45 posts
Slick, no idea how to help as I'm very new to Houdini, but very nice

GL hope you can get your answer soon.

lee
57 posts
me too.. its basically just a shelf tool with some imported collision geometry.. youll pick that up in about 20 minutes. although im having trouble increasing the res as you can see.
45 posts
Just wondering, are you just using Houdini for fx or your entire project ?

I've thought about trying to phase it in, as atm I just use blender , but while its great for a certain budget, it stops being helpful ( known issue they are working on supposedly) when the viewport gets slow with higher res meshes.

Hence why I'm here , trying out new territory, and in addition , the new UE4 plugin given I'm got a sizeable project using ue4 now.

Cheers
nl
  • Quick Links