I am new to Houdini and I am have what seems to be major issues

4434   12   1
13 posts
I just purchased Houdini 16 and every time I start I get this error message in the console. I am using the Indie version:
I/O error : Permission denied
error : xmlNewTextWriterFilename : cannot open uri
Error while populating shelf with shelf tool assets.
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “<stdin>”, line 1, in <module>
File “CPROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.671/houdini/python2.7libs\shelfutils.py”, line 212, in populateShelfFromJSON
help_url=asset)
File “CPROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.671/houdini/python2.7libs\hou.py”, line 46172, in setData
return _hou.Tool_setData(*args, **kwargs)
PermissionError: Failed to modify node or parameter because of a permission error. Possible causes include locked assets, takes, product permissions or user specified permissions

Exception in thread Thread-2:
File “C:\PROGRA~1\SIDEEF~1\HOUDIN~1.671\python27\lib\threading.py”, line 808, in __bootstrap_inner
self.run()
File “CPROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.671/houdini/python2.7libs\hou.py”, line 56303, in __threadRun
self.__run()
File “C:\PROGRA~1\SIDEEF~1\HOUDIN~1.671\python27\lib\threading.py”, line 761, in run
self.__target(*self.__args, **self.__kwargs)
File “CPROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.671/houdini/python2.7libs\hdefereval.py”, line 141, in <lambda>
thread = threading.Thread(target=lambda: function(*args, **kwargs))
File “CPROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.671/houdini/python2.7libs\hdefereval.py”, line 161, in thread_code
it.next()
File “CPROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.671/houdini/python2.7libs\sas\localassets.py”, line 388, in check_for_shelf_tool_assets
shelfutils.populateShelfFromJSON()
File “CPROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.671/houdini/python2.7libs\shelfutils.py”, line 213, in populateShelfFromJSON
tool.setLabel(asset)
File “CPROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.671/houdini/python2.7libs\hou.py”, line 13720, in setLabel
return _hou.ShelfElement_setLabel(*args)
PermissionError: Failed to modify node or parameter because of a permission error. Possible causes include locked assets, takes, product permissions or user specified permissions

I have all permissions and am running has the admin. If I am in Unreal and I press Open scene in Houdini I don't get these error messages. Please help me with this issue thanks in advance for your help.
13 posts
Recently while trying to do a Render View I go this error:

/O error : Permission denied
Error while populating shelf with shelf tool assets.
File “<stdin>”, line 1, in <module>
File “CPROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.671/houdini/python2.7libs\shelfutils.py”, line 212, in populateShelfFromJSON
help_url=asset)
File “CPROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.671/houdini/python2.7libs\hou.py”, line 46172, in setData
return _hou.Tool_setData(*args, **kwargs)

Exception in thread Thread-2:
File “C:\PROGRA~1\SIDEEF~1\HOUDIN~1.671\python27\lib\threading.py”, line 808, in __bootstrap_inner
self.run()
File “CPROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.671/houdini/python2.7libs\hou.py”, line 56303, in __threadRun
self.__run()
File “C:\PROGRA~1\SIDEEF~1\HOUDIN~1.671\python27\lib\threading.py”, line 761, in run
self.__target(*self.__args, **self.__kwargs)
File “CPROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.671/houdini/python2.7libs\hdefereval.py”, line 141, in <lambda>
thread = threading.Thread(target=lambda: function(*args, **kwargs))
File “CPROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.671/houdini/python2.7libs\hdefereval.py”, line 161, in thread_code
it.next()
File “CPROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.671/houdini/python2.7libs\sas\localassets.py”, line 388, in check_for_shelf_tool_assets
shelfutils.populateShelfFromJSON()
File “CPROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.671/houdini/python2.7libs\shelfutils.py”, line 213, in populateShelfFromJSON
tool.setLabel(asset)
File “CPROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.671/houdini/python2.7libs\hou.py”, line 13720, in setLabel
return _hou.ShelfElement_setLabel(*args)

No licenses could be found to run this application.
Please check for a valid license server host
No licenses could be found to run this application.
Please check for a valid license server host

I am at a lost and don't know what to do.
Edited by Alexander Bailey - Aug. 6, 2017 22:41:03
13 posts
Should I Uninstall Houdini and then reinstall Houdini? I don't know what to do at this point.
13 posts
Okay I uninstalled the Houdini and reinstalled it. No cigar I reinstalled it to a different drive and I am still getting the same errors someone please help get this taken care of.
Edited by Alexander Bailey - Aug. 6, 2017 22:42:00
13 posts
I think I fixed the rendering issues. But still having trouble with the other thing.
806 posts
Moin, Alexander,

you might want to deal with problems like this with support (just email them the error reports you got) - different to other companies, SideFX actually *does* care about their users and is quite fast with email responses.

The license messages you are getting point towards the license not having been installed correctly. Try running the license manager ONCE as administrator, install your license (that you got by email, probably), make sure it is available in the listing (it is possible that your license user account has a different password to your SideFX-website account, so make sure that you could actually retrieve the license! Many people just ignore error messages at this stage.)

You should try running Houdini as a standard user, not as an administrator. It is well possible that access rights issues result from you trying it to run as an adminstrator (note that “having all rights” does not necessarily mean “having the right rights” - just because a president believes to have all the rights, doesn't mean he's doing right!)

Marc
---
Out of here. Being called a dick after having supported Houdini users for years is over my paygrade.
I will work for money, but NOT for "you have to provide people with free products" Indie-artists.
Good bye.
https://www.marc-albrecht.de [www.marc-albrecht.de]
13 posts
@Malbrecht I have the Indie version but when I ran my license manager it only gave me the Non commercial render access along with Houdini Indie access I will contact support.
13 posts
How can a license be Rental and non commercial at the same time? This is for the render.
13 posts
How can a license be Rental and non commercial at the same time? This is for the render.
806 posts
… that's why I suggested that. You most likely are having an issue getting the license set up correctly. Support will be able to get you flying.

Marc
---
Out of here. Being called a dick after having supported Houdini users for years is over my paygrade.
I will work for money, but NOT for "you have to provide people with free products" Indie-artists.
Good bye.
806 posts
> How can a license be Rental and non commercial at the same time? This is for the render.

easy. It's a LICENSE. It's quite common to issue (even free) licenses, that may be limited e.g. in render size or track numbers or word count or whatever, for learning purposes, which you then may not use for commercial purposes.
Even with some moderate license fee you may be limmited to non-commercial work (look at Microsoft's non-commercial Office packets that they used to sell for nutshells, you had to buy a license but weren't allowed to use the tools commercially - I could imagine they do the same now with their office 365).

Just something to shrug about and go on having fun.

Marc
---
Good bye.
13 posts
I checked my email I probably should learn to read because all that was explained in the email LOL.
13 posts
Thanks malbretcht!
  • Quick Links