Fracture Simulation and Chunks Materials

4242   3   2
22 posts
Hi guys,

I have this issue that is giving me headaches, I hope you can help me to figure that out.

I made a destruction simulation and I exported the backed animation as skeletal mesh with the “Fracture Rig” tool of Steven Burrichter inside Unreal. Everything works fine but it generates a copy of the same material for each piece… so when I import it inside Unreal it generates hundreads of material slots for each chunk,.

Do you know if there's a way to make each piece to point to the right material without creating clone of the same material for each chunk?
I was thinking about making an ID for each material and let the pieces point to the right ID.. but I wouldn't know how to make it inside Houdini..

I hope I explained it clearly..

Thank you so much for your help!
Cheers
40 posts
Hi, Antonio, did you ever get this figured out? I'm having the same problem when I import a fractured mesh from Houdini. This only happens when I import chunks for a dynamic fracture mesh, but not when I just import a static mesh from the same file. I would love to find a solution!

Thanks,
Brian
24 posts
bkohrman
Hi, Antonio, did you ever get this figured out? I'm having the same problem when I import a fractured mesh from Houdini. This only happens when I import chunks for a dynamic fracture mesh, but not when I just import a static mesh from the same file. I would love to find a solution!

Thanks,
Brian

Hi Brian,
Have you tried to use the new Game Development Shelf tools? You can use the “RBD to FBX” which exports your simulation as bones and works great, or you can even export your RBD simulation as a vertex animation, which is awesome as well. Since I posted this issue the game development tools got a lot of improvments.

Antonio
40 posts
Yes, I've tried both methods and have them working for animated destruction sequences. They are awesome! For this, however, I'm not try to import animations, just static mesh chunks to be used with Unreal's dynamic destruction mesh system. I don't currently know of any alternative methods for dynamic destruction using in-game physics. I've heard the material slot problem MIGHT be fixed in 4.19, so I guess I'll have to download it and try it out.

Thanks for the response!
Brian
  • Quick Links