Trouble getting Bake Texture work

3913   7   1
48 posts
Bake Texture ROP seems not to bake down the normals from a high poly to a low poly (I think I've selected all the correct options eg ‘bake texture’ and ‘tangent normals’ etc). Also post processing options like “ Border Expansion” don't do anything. File attached, is anyone else having the same problem?

Attachments:
baketest.hipnc (146.6 KB)

110 posts
Hi,

If you look at the extra images planes output by the bake you should see the various outputs: N, Nb, Nt. When baking with the Bake Shader the ‘C’ plane is black, which is normal. All the bake data is handled by the extra image planes. Could you verify that switching planes within MPlay shows the correct outputs? Thanks.

~M

Attachments:
baketexture-planes.png (207.9 KB)

48 posts
Yeah I think the problem is that you can get a baked shading normal (Nb) which is what you have there, but not for tangent normals. the only transform i've seen from worldspace normals to tangent is in a vex shader context.

also the edge padding(border expansion) doesn't work either.

(same file just increased the crease weight on the subd)

Attachments:
tangentnotbaked.jpg (119.5 KB)
baked.jpg (183.1 KB)

110 posts
Hi,

I'm looking into the tangent normal output as this does look incorrect for this scene.

In terms of edge padding, are you rendering to disk or MPlay? The edge padding is currently only supported for images rendered to disk.
48 posts
I was rendering to mplay. I'll try to the disk, thanks.
110 posts
Hi,

I've found that this is related to the UVs of the box object. If you rotate them by 1 degree the bake works as expected. I will need to look a bit deeper, but I believe this is an issue with the tangent basis, which seems to be degenerate in some cases. Note that this issue only affects the tangent-space normals; all other bake channels work as expected.

The attached shows the working setup. I've also had success using a different UV layout for the box (try UV Unwrap, for example).

~M

Attachments:
baketest_145_sesi_v0001.hipnc (146.5 KB)
uvtransform.png (182.9 KB)

48 posts
mdavies
Hi,

I've found that this is related to the UVs of the box object. If you rotate them by 1 degree the bake works as expected. I will need to look a bit deeper, but I believe this is an issue with the tangent basis, which seems to be degenerate in some cases. Note that this issue only affects the tangent-space normals; all other bake channels work as expected.

The attached shows the working setup. I've also had success using a different UV layout for the box (try UV Unwrap, for example).

~M

thanks
1 posts
Hello everyone.
recently i have a problem to bake texture within ropnet in a way that render to disk and render to mplay isn't working and finally i haven't any file or any message that tell me what's going on here.
i would really appriciate it if any one could help me.
  • Quick Links