Houdini instance to foliage problem

4657   4   1
4 posts
Hi all,
I'm using houdini engine v2 for ue4 and I'm trying to scatter some instances with s@unreal_instance point attribute and i@unreal_foliage attribute. I can see scattered instances in UE4 and I can see that in the foliage system. I also need to repaint over the scattered foliage coming from Houdini. Although I can paint new foliage, I can't delete the foliage coming from houdini. Foliage system see's houdini's foliage as invalid instances ( selecting all invalid instances selects all the instances coming from houdini)
Any info/help would be highly appreciated!
Thanks
38 posts
I also want to know how to link the foliage instance to the terrain. Currently, paint terrain height won't affect the foliages that come with Houdini Engine. And as you said, the foliages are all be marked "invalid".
7 posts
I'm having the same issues as sysfu.
Also, I would like to point out another thing. When using foliage type with unreal_instance a new actor in unreal is created "InstancedFoliageActor". When trying to change values from the HDA is very dificult to know how to select the HDA because now the assets you see in the screen are in de "InstancedFoliageActor", so you have to know which spawner is for every thing.
This may not be important for a few HDA or actors in the level, but for large levels and lots of actors...

Attachments:
UE.jpg (999.5 KB)

11 posts
I'm experiencing the same issue with Foliage Instances being invalid.
I did find a hacky workaround that might be useful for some of you (the downside is that it will ignore any offsets you might have added).
Following a suggestion from this thread (https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/161217/when-deforming-the-terrain-foliage-wont-apply-to-i.html), you can Select All, Move them Up enough so everything is above the landscape, and press the key END on your keyboard. That will snap all instances back to the terrain and validate them in the process (most of them anyway).
I already contacted SideFX support but haven't heard back yet.
I will update this thread when I get a response.
1 posts
I want to remind that it is not a good idea to use END to link Instance to the terrain. We will set different offsets to each vegetation, but if you link them to the terrain, the vegetation will be changed next time the terrain changes. According to the preset of foliagetype, it pops up from the terrain and updates a strange position every time.
For the vegetation scattered by Houdini, it is reasonable that the default is invalid. Even the vegetation that I want to draw manually in UE is invalid by default, which is safe and reasonable.
  • Quick Links