Trouble re-starting houdini

8650   3   1
9 posts
I'm having troubles with houdini again,

it installs perfectly fine and runs fine, but for some reason everytime i start houdini i have to restart hserver and sesientd

is there anything i can do so that i do not have to do this each time??

also can i do away with the source houdini_setup command? is there a file i can put this text in so it will run on start-up/login??

thanx for your time and help

Rikki
[riksruin.tk]
1631 posts
Hi Rikki,

--Rikki--
I'm having troubles with houdini again,

it installs perfectly fine and runs fine, but for some reason everytime i start houdini i have to restart hserver and sesientd

is there anything i can do so that i do not have to do this each time??
I would suggest re-installing the license server from the CD. You will have to login as root.

--Rikki--
also can i do away with the source houdini_setup command? is there a file i can put this text in so it will run on start-up/login??
You can edit the .tcshrc or .cshrc file, depending on which shell you use and add the following:

cd /usr/hfs5.5; source houdini_setup; cd

at the end of the file.

This way, every time you start a shell, the Houdini environment will be initialized for you.

I hope the above helps!

Cheers!
steven
9 posts
I have re-installed the license server, but this does not seem to have any effect on the hserver problems,

i added some lines into my .cshrc file to re-load the hserver and set it to the hostname of ‘linux’

this works perfectly if i reboot once uses the license server to ‘linux’, but after multiple reboots it trys to pick up the license server as ‘linux=’

is this a problem with SuSE linux??
would houdini run better on Mandrake or RedHat??
[riksruin.tk]
Staff
270 posts
What errors do you get when you don't restart hserver and sesinetd?

(Note that Houdini is only officially supported on Red Hat Linux, but I don't see why licensing wouldn't work differently on SUSE.)
  • Quick Links