Recache Stroke in Guide groom node missing

4456   8   0
4 posts
Looks like recache stroke in guide groom node is missing in houdini 19. Is there an alternate option for that? If some changes are made like adjusting the density in the attributes, the only way now is to clear the strokes and rework.
13 posts
Hi,
Asked myself the same question...
Head of CGTraining - ESMA School, Toulouse -
3 posts
@anish i asked myself the same question... I used guide transfer for that for now but i know its been painful not to have that option and ive been wondering what to do...
4 posts
Sticking to Houdini 18.5 for grooming for now. I feel new tools is less procedural. If I want want to adjust length slightly after grooming it a pain now
3 posts
I hope someone from the sidefx team can comment on this post because this tool seems to not honor the the seamless workflow that houdini is meant to do and be in grooming.
7736 posts
anishsreedhar
Sticking to Houdini 18.5 for grooming for now. I feel new tools is less procedural. If I want want to adjust length slightly after grooming it a pain now

Use guide process node for procedural edits. The guide groom node was never truly procedural. If any groups were used in strokes, that information was lost when recaching.

For a procedural groom, don't use any guide groom nodes. Guide advect/init guides and guide process should be the only groom operations done procedurally. A guide groom node could still be used to generate input curves to the guide advect node non-procedurally while keeping the main guide set procedural.

Yes, it's far more tedious, but should allow for upstream changes to be much easier to implement.
4 posts
A simple example. I just created some fur with add fur shelf button. Used guide groom to do some sculpting then I felt that desnity of the guides should be more. The density slider wont work any more, but the slider is still active. Now I can only increase density with guide groom using plant brush. How is a new artist going to understand this?
4 posts
anishsreedhar
A simple example. I just created some fur with add fur shelf button. Used guide groom to do some sculpting then I felt that desnity of the guides should be more. The density slider wont work any more, but the slider is still active. Now I can only increase density with guide groom using plant brush. How is a new artist going to understand this?

I am a new artist trying to understand groom in Houdini 19 as advect curve wouldn't work on my Houdini 18.5... and I am very confused by the missing buttons and the missing recache strokes...
1 posts
anishsreedhar

You can go to Assets > Asset definition toolbar > Show Always
Then go to your guide groom node, on top, and change from guide groom 2.0 to guide groom, then you can use it in newer versions of houdini.
  • Quick Links