Measuring Tool Tutorial problem

4007   0   0
63 posts
I have worked through the measuring tool tutorial about 3 different times with the same bad results. I have followed exactly as in the videos and now am getting a headache (need dinner) so I thought I would post this here.

I would load the hip file I downloaded from the sidefx site and selected all the op's that make up the measuring tool. I collapsed them into a subnet and then created an optype from it. Alls well so far. I named everything the same as in the video and accepted and got the properties page so I can add the parameters. I dragged over all the transforms, colour, scale etc parameters and changed the names and I noticed one thing when I went up to Object level. The subnet name turned red and the error was “Not Synchronized with definition” so I right clicked the subnet and selected “Match Current Definition” and the subnet turned the blue colour. I don't understand why I had to do this because they didn't have to do this in the video.

I figured everything was okay now, so I hit apply in the properties page and had the controls show up in the control page. All the controls worked as they should. I then went and attached the handles to the “From and To” in the properties box and everything looked okay. I was able to select the handles and move the ends of the measuring tool around.

Now here is where it is not working for me. The video said to try parenting the nulls in the viewport to measure between 2 objects. So, I hit tab>Parent and selected the From point as child and then selected a light as Parent. Then I did another Parent and selected the To point as child and then another light as parent. I got one light wired to input 1 of subnet and the other light wired to input2 of the subnet. Looks right in the network editor but not in the viewport. The point doesn't go to the lights and in the video they say to hit ctrl + middle mouse on the translate and the point should move to the light. I was able to do this before making an optype by just using a transform, selecting one end of measuring line and parent it to a light and then ctrl + middle mouse the translate of the From sop (the from point would go to the light). It just doesn't seem to work for me when I use the optype andselect the subnet and ctrl + middle mouse the translate (doesn't jump to the light). I followed the video to a tee. What am I missing? I always seem to have trouble with the tutorials from sidefx (I don't know if its me or what).

Edit: I have gotten the “Not Synchronized with Definition” another time when I made an optype in another file. What is the reason for this error and why does it seem it happens to me always? The other time I also followed a tutorial from 3dBuzz to a tee and got that error whereas Buzz did not. Is something set wrong on my computer?
  • Quick Links