Desktop Lamp - Basic Question

4302   2   0
2 posts
Hi

I'm new to here and houdini, so hello people

I have a quick question -
I am trying to model a desktop lamp, and i am not sure how to go about making the tube in the middle, (its the type you can bend around to point any direction) the one i am trying to model also has little ridges all the way down it, so knowing how to do that would be great aswell

Thanks for your time

majic
1631 posts
Hi majic,

You can use a Curve SOP to draw a Nurbs curve with 6 points or more. With more points, you can have more control but also more points to be animated. You can also choose to use a Line SOP.

Next, put down a Circle SOP, also Nurbs, and append a Sweep SOP to it. You'll notice there are three inputs to the Sweep SOP. Connect the Curve SOP to the second input and finally, append a Skin SOP. The radius of the tube is probably too big so adjust the radius of the Circle SOP till you're happy.

Now, if you go to the Curve SOP and move any of the points, you'll be able to bend the tube anyway you want. If you're looking to animate the points, append a Transform SOP, select the point you want and then make a Persistent Handle for it. You will have to add Transform SOPs for each point you want to animate. Another method to use, of course, is bones but I don't think you can use them for the exercise right?

As for the little ridges, I would suggest using a texture map instead of modelling them.

Cheers!
steven
2 posts
Thanks a lot steven, that worked a treat

majic
  • Quick Links