[Apprentice & Linux] hkey won't run

10621   8   1
108 posts
When I installed Houdini Apprentice, in Red Hat Linux 7.3, and configured the environment (via the houdini_setup) hkey warned me that it couldn't connect to the hserver.

Is it a network conflict? If so, I don't understand. Because my ethernet configuration seems to work fine.

Also, do I require a special Apprentice license? (If so, and where/how do I aquire this?)
3 posts
Hello Calosus,

Is the license server running? I had the same problem with my Debian installation.

If not, try to run ./sesinetd in /etc/init.d/ or /usr/lib/sesi/

When you start an application of the Houdini family (hmaster, hselect etc.) and no license is installed on the server, a popup will come up asking you if you want to install a non-commercial version. You must have an open internet connection to do this.

Schmelly
108 posts
Schmelly
Hello Calosus,

Is the license server running? I had the same problem with my Debian installation.

If not, try to run ./sesinetd in /etc/init.d/ or /usr/lib/sesi/

When you start an application of the Houdini family (hmaster, hselect etc.) and no license is installed on the server, a popup will come up asking you if you want to install a non-commercial version. You must have an open internet connection to do this.

Schmelly

Aha, I see now. Thanks for your help Schmelly!
108 posts
Internet is running but now nothing happens when I try running hkey, houdini or hmaster

What am I doing wrong here and what do you recommend me to do?

Thanks in advance.
108 posts
Also, what kind of user should you be to run Houdini? (Is superuser ok?)
1631 posts
Hi Marco,

You don't need to be superuser to run Houdini. You do need to be superuser when you install Houdini which you've done.

With regards to your problem, please re-install the license tools only & then try to start Houdini. If you don't get the download license pop-up, may I know have you installed the latest graphics card drivers?

If you're using a GeForce/Quadro card, please go to Nvidia's website [nvidia.com]. If you're using a FireGL, please go to ATI's website [ati.com].

I hope the above helps!

Cheers!
steven
108 posts
I installed those drivers. At first, they seemed to have effect. But after I rebooted, I couldn't access X anymore… Since then I've been fooling around in the terminal, trying to correct things.

Damn, this is pretty frustrating! I had everything running so nicely and I wouldn't want to reinstall it again.
108 posts
YESH!
Never mind guys, I already fixed it.

Also, the license manager seems to start up correctly now. Then it starts looking (connecting) to the “License Server” (sesinetd?). At a certain point it fails. “License Error: Unable to connect to hserver for license acquisition”.

Any clues?
108 posts
I got Houdini to work now. And I already love it!

One little thing still, the interface (icons) draw a little slowly sometimes. I know you can fix this, at least. I did it in WIndoze with an environment variable. I am not sure how it's done in Linux.

But any help is welcome (again )
  • Quick Links