time offset particle emitter

6326   3   2
1 posts
Hi,

i have a single source particle emitter that i m trying to copy 40 times along a grid. Each copied emitter should have a 1 second offset from the previous.

I tried to copy/stamp the popnet with an expression in the start time but it doesn't seem to work.

i also tried to use the copy node for the source geometry and i got 40 different groups, but i can t change the activation of the source emitter using the group name.

I will attach a file that probably will show more easily the issue.

Thanks
Sergio

Attachments:
example_popnet.hipnc (246.4 KB)
example_popnet2.hipnc (244.5 KB)

1529 posts
Heya Sergio,

Don't have houdini in front of me at the moment, but I suspect that you may be better off baking the result of your particle simulation to disk first (rop_geometry sop), then bringing the result back into your sop network using a file sop.

It'll be far easier to copy/stamp an offset into the file sop:

C:\my_files\test.$F+`stamp(“../copy1”, “offset”, 0)`.bgeo

Or something along those lines.

G
219 posts
Thanks you for your help. I tryed your solution and it works fine!!

Sergio
1529 posts
glad to help Sergio.

If you decide to get fancy, try changing the seed value on your particle sim – each noise field and birth distribution will be slightly different.

Then copy stamp an additional variable that will control which particle sim to copy onto your points – kinda like:

C:\my_files\test_`stamp(“../copy1”, “index”, 0)`.$F+`stamp(“../copy1”, “offset”, 0)`.bgeo

G
  • Quick Links