cloth dynamics info

3722   3   1
11 posts
hi - I'm trying to learn about H10's cloth dynamics and starting off by going thru the online tutorial called “Dynamics QuickStart”, which is for H8 but the only dynamics intro tutorial I can find. Obviously it's a little outdated but at least for the rbd section, it seemed ok. But for the cloth part, it doesn't work. I create a dopnet, add a cloth object and cloth solver and gravity and the cloth falls down. But I can't figure out how to get the cloth to collide with anything. Anybody know of a basic cloth tutorial somewhere? And also, I'd like to see a more up to date rbd tutorial as well.
11 posts
ah hang on, I think I just figured it out or at least started to. In the tutorial file, they have you copy some rbd objects to a different dopnet (for the cloth) but that caused an error in the dop import nodes for each object, and after that those nodes wouldn't work in the sim. I deleted all the dop import nodes and created a fresh static object for the tabletop that my cloth falls onto, and now there's no errors and the cloth hits the table.

So question:
in H10, to get a static object to interact with cloth, you bring it in thru a static object node? or are there other / better / more correct ways ?
349 posts
Yeah you can use a static dop, or a RBD object with the active toggle turned off. However don't be mislead by the name static object. Static objects can have animation on them, the static means immune to dynamic forces such as gravity, wind or noise fields, etc, at least thats my understanding of it

Here is a very basic file showing an animated static object.

Attachments:
cloth_staticRBD_01.hipnc (286.8 KB)

11 posts
hi - thanks, that's very helpful. Altho, I couldn't see any attached file.

I take that back, when I re-view your message I see the attachment.

cheers,
mark
  • Quick Links