how do I rotate polygon face around normal

5265   4   1
4 posts
Hi, when poly modelling, I create a box, extrude a few times, rotate faces etc. When I want to go back in fine tune rotations, the rotation handle defaults to the objects axis, not the primitives !!! How do I realign the handles so I can rotate the face with the handles aligning to the face please ? It seems such a basic let down and I may have to do my modelling in a different software and import back to Houdini. Any help appreciated as this one thing would put me off buying Apprentice HD.
Cheers.
Staff
2540 posts
You can go back up the chain to the specific PolyExtrude SOP and manipulate the handle there as it will keep it's orientation. Depending on the number of steps completed this can be straightforward or daunting.

There are a couple ways to orient the handle to a face but I agree that this should be one of the default orientation modes for a handle when modifying geometry. Submitted an RFE for this.

To just get the handle aligned to the face but not at the center:
- press the single quote ‘ key to detach the handle
- right mouse button (rmb) on the handle and choose the menu option “Align Handle > Start Orientation Picking”
- rebind the handle with the single quote key ’
The handle is now oriented to the face but pinned to the second selected point.

The most precise way to do this is to do the following steps:
- tab-construction plane to enter the construction plane tool
- pick three points on the polygon you want to orient the construction plane (handle) to
- press the single quote ‘ key to detach the handle
- rmb on the handle and choose the option “Align Handle > orient to construction plane”
- rebind the handle with the single quote key ’
The handle is aligned to the face at the primitive centroid.

Maybe someone else has a better approach to orienting the handle to a primitive face.
There's at least one school like the old school!
4 posts
thanks for the heads up Jeff, Ill give that a go. As you mention, if anyone knows of other work arounds too, Id be greatly interested !! D This seems like a lot of effort if there are many faces you want to tweak…

What packages do you guys model in mainly ? Is it more common to model externally and import ? Or do many people just use Houdini ?

Cheers.
Staff
2540 posts
Personally I do a lot of modeling in Houdini.

Also do a lot of modeling in SketchUp, AutoCAD, Revit and Rhino. My wife is an architect and I did architecture for over 15 years in the past so I am having to help out once in a while. :wink:

This topic has come up quite often so search these forums along with the OdForce and 3d Buzz forums to get a broader picture.
There's at least one school like the old school!
4 posts
Thanks for the advice, Ill check it out further. D
  • Quick Links