.hipnc filesize OUT of CoNtRoL!

3407   4   0
35 posts
Hi All,

I just recently have been having this disturbing problem with Houdini Apprentice 10 build 295.

I import a bunch of geometries, modify them over a period of months, and the total filesize is still only 2MB. And that's 2MB with a lot of SOPS used over the period of months.

So last week i decided to import some headlights into my project from .obj files that i created. i imported then then saved the project…50MB. thought nothing of it, made a few micro changes…100MB. then 272MB. then 500MB. 1GB. and now at 2GB houdini won't create a save any more. Why is this happening? It seems to be doubling the size of the save files every time.

Its a good thing that every time i save i call it “file version 16.hipnc”, “…version 17” and so on otherwise i would be totally ZAPPED! and by ZAPPED i mean houdini would have zapped me with his magic wand and turned my whole many months of project into a worthless unsavable green frog.

Actually going back to my “version 16” file rather than the precious “version 17” i am losing so much of my apprentice hours invested in tweaking things here and there.

Help i don't want to be a frog anymore!
1906 posts
This is an old bug that caused garbage characters to become stored and quickly multiply in the LUT file path in the Edit->Color Settings dialog.

The best solution is to just install a newer build. If you wish to continue using 295 then you can launch the dialog and switch to the Color Correction tab, perform a Ctrl-A to select all the text in the field then delete will fix the problem.
Graham Thompson, Technical Artist @ Rockstar Games
35 posts
I checked the LUT file path in the Edit->Color Settings dialog and it was blank. I guess the .hipnc file I was working with already got zapped. But i installed a new build this morning and everything seems fine…whew! Thanks for the help!
Staff
5158 posts
New builds not only fix the initial problem that caused the bloat, but also detect and remove the bloat in an affected hip file.
35 posts
thanks for that additional tip. I just wish i knew that before i deleted the problem file out of anger!
  • Quick Links