gfont.exe still hangs installation, even on H11

12314   17   3
203 posts
I was hoping this would no longer be a problem with the release of Houdini 11, but gfont.exe still hangs during installation, stopping the whole process. Really disappointing.
Execute: “C:\Program Files\Side Effects Software\Houdini 11.0.446.7\bin\gfont.exe” -Sq -o “C:\Program Files\Side Effects Software\Houdini 11.0.446.7\houdini\fonts\font.index”
Anyone else still having this problem?

Houdini 11.0.446.7
Win7 Ultimate x64
GTX 470 | 258.96 WHQL
Most of My Houdini Renders [flickr.com]
My System [evga.com]
18 posts
I have the same problem here, I'm sure they're studying the problem now, but it's very frustrating.

Cheers!
203 posts
I sure hope they are. I think I may have read somewhere that there's a bug report about it. But it would be nice to hear from them. *shrug*
I tried letting gfont run, for hours, to no avail, so I ended it in Task Manager and the installation finished. But nothing else runs. :?

Here's Houdini after “running” for a few minutes.

Attachments:
hmaster.png (6.5 KB)

My System [evga.com]
203 posts
Email from Houdini support:
Hello Ross,
This is a problem that a number of our users have run into. Our developers are working on a fix. Some of our users reported that updating their graphics driver solved the issue for them.

Our system requirements have changed from Houdini 10 to Houdini 11. Please review our System Requirements page:
http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=415 [sidefx.com]

All the best,
Jenny.
(ID# 37839)
At least they're aware and working on it. Can't update my drivers, maybe I should roll back to an older version…
My System [evga.com]
8 posts
Same problem for me with Houdini 11.0.456 and Nvidia drivers 258.96… Can't update more
203 posts
I updated to 259.09 [developer.nvidia.com] (new OpenGL drivers) and it didn't change anything. Not that I really expected it to. I also installed SP1 for Winodws 7 to no avail, and tried restoring my Windows font folder to how it is right after OS install. Also no luck.
Back to waiting, lol.
My System [evga.com]
18 posts
I feel less alone … :roll:
But someone had there been an answer or a solution?

PLEASE !!!
203 posts
c@mesigue
I feel less alone … :roll:
But someone had there been an answer or a solution?

PLEASE !!!

Afaik, not yet. But they're working on it. I've tried a couple things on my own, no dice. So far…
My System [evga.com]
18 posts
It is still a problem … All my other software runs under Seven 64bit and some only work properly on this version of Windows …
Besides, I could install a 32bit version of Houdini on my old laptop but it is not good enough and crashes very often …
(I know this is not the issue here but I'm looking for tutorials about modeling …)
There is no question for me to buy a full version of Houdini until this problem is not resolved …
203 posts
I kind of wished I had waited to upgrade to 11 until this was fixed. :\ Ah well, maybe the $70 can go to fixing it.

And c@mesigue, once it is fixed, it's definitely worth the money.
My System [evga.com]
18 posts
Personally I never buy without seeing. Either the test is successful or not …
At this point, I have not seen anything really conclusive in modeling … And for straight talking online documentation does not really make me a fair idea of Houdini capacity in this area and in others too if I am speaking only about this lightweight paper…
Staff
5161 posts
Does everyone experiencing difficulty here have custom-installed fonts? I'm wondering if a true-type font that Houdini is having difficulty parsing is causing the problem. I haven't been able to reproduce the problem on W7 Pro 64b, so I'm guessing the problem must lie somewhere in specific installations, and fonts is a good place to start looking.
203 posts
twod
Does everyone experiencing difficulty here have custom-installed fonts? I'm wondering if a true-type font that Houdini is having difficulty parsing is causing the problem. I haven't been able to reproduce the problem on W7 Pro 64b, so I'm guessing the problem must lie somewhere in specific installations, and fonts is a good place to start looking.

I haven't specifically gone and downloaded anything, but it's possible that custom fonts have been installed by programs over a few months. I tried restoring my fonts to how they are upon initial Win7 install (not sure if I did it right, basically used robocopy from CD folder to hard drive folder in repair mode :? ) but got the same results. I guess I could actually do a clean install. D: Maybe on a separate partition.
My System [evga.com]
18 posts
The big difference between XP and Seven is the ability to hide the installed fonts that do not match the installed language. European> Fonts Arabic, Greek, and Chinese fonts without accents are hidden (it is possible to bring up manually).
The Fonts folder is a special folder.The fonts are also in the folder winsxs

One role of gfont.exe is to list the fonts in the Fonts folder in Windows and to place this list in the following file Font.index. I tried to do this manually, this is still insufficient gfont.exe must make other things …
Avast prevents this by placing all read-only files in the Program Files folder, stop Avast is a first point but this is still insufficient. I'll stop hiding fonts, restart, stop, avast, the firewall and pass in English
18 posts
here has not …
gfont.exe blocked during installation, and with the command line …
hkey.exe seems to have the same problem …
after installation, command line, Houdini starts but there is no display at all …

What other roles gfont.exe?
7745 posts
Can we please keep this to one thread?

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&t=20351 [sidefx.com]
18 posts
I am the author of this thread and it did not in any way solved my problem. Send me back to that thread is like a cat chasing its tail as they say in France.
I used a lot of energy, time, therefore money just to try to install Houdini Apprentice on my station and only tentatively to view the performance characteristics …
I must make a choice on the future software that I will have to purchase, I think I made a lot of effort here, which unfortunately remained without positive results.
I still think that the first contacts almost always lead what will be the future relationship …
If Monday night I did not answer me to install Houdini on my station I'd be forced to look elsewhere. I'm long overdue here without a top result …
7745 posts
Did you see my last post on the other thread?
  • Quick Links