Help with wiggle expression please!

12622   5   1
5 posts
Hi there, I'm trying to simulate something like a wiggle expression. Like it's used on After Effects. I'm trying to wiggle the Y position of a point.
In my particular scene I have a sphere > scatter > copy.
On the copy node I am using the following expression attached to the Y translation the object which is being copied:

rand($PT*$T)

This wiggles all objects randomly but my first problem is that there's no interpolation between frames so the result is kinda choppy.
Second I can't find a way to bring the frequency of this wiggle expression down like 1/sec instead of 24/sec.
Is there a better way to do this? Am I on the right path here?
If anyone could help me it'd be really great!

Thanks in advance!
2624 posts
what about fitting in a noise($TX,$TY,$TZ) ! expression into the mix

R
Gone fishing
5 posts
circusmonkey
what about fitting in a noise($TX,$TY,$TZ) ! expression into the mix

R
Hey thanks for the reply man. You'll have to be a little more specific in this one though, since I don't know how the noise() expression works
5 posts
Oh, okay, I've found this tutorial which explains the noise() function so I came up with this expression for the Y parameter:

noise(0,rand($PT)*$T*3,0)*2
2624 posts
well the term wiggle is a bit none descriptive , but there theres a few options ,
Drop a grid followed by a point SOP , add $TY + noise($TX,$TY +$T , $TZ) to the Y position channel
press play

R
Gone fishing
5 posts
Yeah, the expression wiggle in after effects is used for randomizing values. It has 2 inputs in it's basic form: The first represents frequency and the second the value amount: wiggle(1, 25);

For instance if I wanted a camera to shake I'd apply a wiggle expression to it's Z Rotation parameter. Or if I wanted a flicking light effect I'd apply a wiggle to the opacity of an object and so on..
I just didn't know how this would translate to 3D, specially Houdini. But the Noise() and Turb() functions gave me some pretty good results.

Thank you.
  • Quick Links