copy to polygons? or normals?

10799   5   0
614 posts
is it possible to copy/stamp to a specific polygons in a mesh? inside the geo context?

y just want to put some bolts in the center of some polygons using the normal of each polygon.
24 posts
Check my thread about “adding mount points”.
I use prim() and Add, Point, etc. for determining the
center of the polygon.
678 posts
Or create particles with POPs and use in create Prim center option.
614 posts
i never tought of the idea of using pops on this that is cool.
i will check the post on mount points. now see how to set the normal for the bolts and screew align to the mesh correctly.

thanks guys.
1145 posts
The Copy sop should align your bolts to the template normals. You need to orient the bolts to the Z axis.
If you need more control then use the Align sop, but your bolt would then need to be a single mesh.
“gravity is not a force, it is a boundary layer”
“everything is coincident”
“Love; the state of suspended anticipation.”
614 posts
Hi probbins, i thought i need to set the bolt in Y direction, so it fits. just looking up.

i saw several times the video on Houdini web site, they use nurbs and curves, according to the video the use position UV and W,

when i try to align geometry every thing explodes, i am not sure how to use the align yet.

they basic idea is to do a wing or some metallic stuff. select the polygons where i want bolts, make them a group, and then copy stamp with or with out align node the bolts to the polygons group that i created. and maybe later be able to do a asset out of this .

i got the position to work, but for some reason the bolts are not keeping their form, they are becoming flat polygons.

Attachments:
Bolts.hipnc (1.1 MB)

• Quick Links