Voronoi Fracture in H11

5445   5   0
2624 posts
I just wanted to find out if anyone has tried to fracture a lot of geometry with the new fracture tool in H11. I am finding it extremely slow in processing simple fractures , default settings and inputting points generated from a volume.

Rob
Gone fishing
Staff
809 posts
Hi Rob,

Can you give any more detail on your geometry? I've run some pretty high resolution geometry through it. The underlying VoronoiSplit SOP is multi-threaded and should perform pretty well, although it can be a bit memory-hungry.

I could probably generate some fracture times for “standard” geometry like the Stanford bunny or dragon if that's helpful.

And just to be clear, you're talking about SOPs, here, right, not dynamic fracturing?

Edit:

Try the attached file, which just uses the VoronoiSplit SOP and bypasses all the group creation, clustering, whatnot in the VoronoiFracture SOP, just to make sure that's not the problem.

This is a torus with about 1600 polys, which fractures into 500 pieces in about 1.5 sec on my machine (which is pretty fast - the machine that is).

Attachments:
voronoi_split.hip (47.8 KB)

2624 posts
Hi,
Thanks for the reply, its sop level fracturing and I am reading the geometry to fracture offdisk , nothing special at all.

Will keep you posted
Gone fishing
2624 posts
While I am here is there any way to get the fracture tool to output point groups ?

rob
Gone fishing
Staff
809 posts
circusmonkey
While I am here is there any way to get the fracture tool to output point groups ?

Do you mean that instead of primitive groups called “piece0”, etc. you have point groups?

You can take over group creation by turning off “Create Output Groups” on the Groups tab, then turn on “Keep Internal Attributes” on the Attributes tab. That will give each primitive a “piece” attribute. You could AttribPromote that to points and Partition to create point groups.

Is that what you had in mind?
110 posts
Just a small contribution to the thread.

I've used the new voronoi fracture now on 3 separate productions and have had really good results with it.

Obviously it's still voronoi so you gotta mess with it a bit, but overall I'm really happy with the new sops. Tho I can't say the same for dops rbds :<
  • Quick Links