Macbook Air and Houdini Apprentice?

6652   4   1
57 posts
I am considering getting a Macbook Air and I am wondering if Houdini Apprentice is fluid enough for basic rendering (I don't know how best to explain what I mean)? I guess I am talking about I guess anything not needing a Render-Farm? I could get the Pro with SSD but I would prefer the Air for its portability(power,lightness).

DJ
“Nothing is just Black & White”- look at the Yin/Yang symbol
104 posts
Hey!

I'm using Houdini everyday on my 2 year old Macbook Air…mainly for prototyping stuff, but also for quick renderings. It works very well!!! But if you want to render Animations I would go with a workstation.

Notebooks don't have the best coolers so it doesn't matter which Notebook you have…you're going to destroy it by constantly rendering heavy stuff on it.

I'm very happy with the performance of Houdini on my Notebook and I'll buy a new Macbook Air for sure! But for serious work I'm using a workstation.

Hope this helps a bit! ;-)

calix
301 posts
calix
Hey!
I'm using Houdini everyday on my 2 year old Macbook Air

Your MBA may have the nvidia chipsets.

The current MBA have the Intel HD3000 chips so user experience may no be as smooth.

Regards
Nicholas Yue
104 posts
You're right Nicholas, I have the Nvidia Chipset.

But DJ…simply go to the next Apple Store and let them install Houdini Apprentice on a Macbook Air…then do some quick test-drive. A friend did this to test Modo on the i7 iMac with ATI graphics! ;-)

calix
38 posts
Did anyone make a test drive on new MacBookAirs yet ?

cheers,
Selcuk
  • Quick Links