"Cancelling" takes forever

3125   5   2
10 posts
I have a vornoni sop going and when I cancel out it takes forever. It's pretty much the same as cooking the node and it still leaves you with a black screen. Are there any settings I should be aware of?

If I make a mistake and want to cancel so as not to wait for the node to cooks something that I don't need anyway, the “cancel” option is useless.

As I write this I have about 27 minutes and still counting of “cancelling”

Well - at this point I pretty much think “cancelling” just doesn't work altogether… Is this a Houdini bug or what?

Thank you
4189 posts
I just tested a VoronoiFracture on a torus. It took around 10 sec to process and I could also cancel with the esc key.

Can you upload your scene and we can take a look.
693 posts
It happens every now and then. I haven't devoted much time to finding what kinds of operations and/or nodes do this, but it is common. I particularly experience this with the cloth capture/deform workflow.
Unless you haven't saved in a while I'd say force quit!

Cheers
Toronto - ON
My Houdini playground [renderfarm.tumblr.com]
“As technology advances, the rendering time remains constant.”
10 posts
rafaels
It happens every now and then. I haven't devoted much time to finding what kinds of operations and/or nodes do this, but it is common. I particularly experience this with the cloth capture/deform workflow.
Unless you haven't saved in a while I'd say force quit!

Cheers

Thank you. Can I ask why sidefx hasn't worked on making a loop-breaker? I mean it's obvious that it's a loop that just isn't being broken by the “cancel” command. I'm far from a programming expert but I do know that most loops can be broken with an IF statement that checks for “cancel” at the end of each cycle. I can see at the bottom that Houdini is just performing cooking operations and not stopping in between.

Also, when you say force quit I assume you mean the ctrl-alt-del to bring up the task manager? Is there a more “graceful” method? Thanks again.
693 posts
I think it's a strong assumption that SESI is not working on solving this issue. Nevertheless, it is possible that very few people have efficiently reported this bug (I know I haven't)…
I'd encourage you to properly report it though if it's something you judge critical.

Also, when you say force quit I assume you mean the ctrl-alt-del to bring up the task manager? Is there a more “graceful” method?

I'm on linux and that's the most elegant, yet lazy, way I know…

Cheers
Toronto - ON
My Houdini playground [renderfarm.tumblr.com]
“As technology advances, the rendering time remains constant.”
10 posts
rafaels
I think it's a strong assumption that SESI is not working on solving this issue. Nevertheless, it is possible that very few people have efficiently reported this bug (I know I haven't)…
I'd encourage you to properly report it though if it's something you judge critical.

Also, when you say force quit I assume you mean the ctrl-alt-del to bring up the task manager? Is there a more “graceful” method?

I'm on linux and that's the most elegant, yet lazy, way I know…

Cheers

Got it - thank you so much.
  • Quick Links