Softimage to Houdini - Pros and Cons - What could be done?

42976   63   3
2 posts
The problem is, as i told before as Softimage Rigger ,how is possible find a job in Houdini in Europe as Rigger / Char td.
I 'd like to migrate all my skills from Si to Houdini but only for my spec becouse the problem is time and knowledge, after i will see all simulation and so on but only when i am competitive in my field.

For you there is possible to find a job in this field or no? This is the question.

I ate so mutch Maya i try to but for do a simpler stuff need to open 10 tabs and so on is ridiculus.
Any advice please
and thank so mutch to Jordi for Help
AD need to learn a lot from Si !
1694 posts
lisux
riviera
There are strong preconceptions against Houdini in the character/rigging field, but all the tools (and more) are there, and my opinion is that much more capable rigs could be done than in Maya. (Just never had the incentive to spend my free time on rigging, of all things )

So I for one am pretty interested on how things go…
Yep in terms of architecture houdini offers lots of possibilites for rigging but the IK Solver in CHOPs and the transform stack in OBJ context needs some love.
CHOPs needs to be updated for the 21st century, the concept is amazing the implementation is old and needs to be correctly integrated with character animation.
The transform stack in OBJ is slow specially when you have lots of nested subnets, this doesnt affects character animation too much but affects vehicle rigs.

My hopes for character animation is that SESI rewrite CHOPS for H14.

Well, for one, a blended IK/FK solution is a breeze in Houdini (and you can correctly implement the blending itself, not like in Maya where they can't get it right for the n-th time).

CHOPs would definitely need some love (and not just for rigging; for instance if they supported string parameters, CHOPs could be used to build render passes…) One obvious direction would be multithreading. Would be glad to hear some specifics on what you don't like that's character rig related.

I don't know about hierarchy/subnet speeds, but probably you can get away much less complicated hierarchies compared to other apps.
Imre Tuske
FX Supervisor | Senior FXTD @ Weta FX

qLib -- Houdini asset library
http://qlab.github.io/qLib/ [qlab.github.io]
https://www.facebook.com/qLibHoudini [www.facebook.com]
207 posts
owlYzarc
I used to have the same issues some time ago, but then i did something
If I understand correctly it the problem with dual monitor set-up, could you describe what it consists of? what GPU(s) you have?
drivers?
what monitors?
are they identical?
how are they set up? A-B? which one is set as primary display in windows? you are using windows, right?

Wow, thanks for looking in to it! Excelllent responses… Yes, using windows with matching monitors and a certified quadro 4000… though it looks like the A-B were swapped somehow (you mentioned that Houdini dislikes negative window coords), maybe that will fix it.

I'll look in to those windows links too (try to go through things one at a time…). Certainly can't rule anything out yet.

Cheers, and thanks for the tips!

-T
655 posts
I would suggest to aim to rigging from the back door, meaning, enter as a TD/FXTD working on areas like Fluids/Pyro, etc… and you will have a good job doing good projects which will allow you to build on it.

You will first of all gain experience and second exposure on a very small community.

For those of us that work in advertising the main issue is finding people so if we get a project with characters anytime soon I will be the first to put offers here.

Of course, make sure you have a character fully rigged in Houdini with all the modern techniques you have been using (facial expression symmetries, doritos, lip advanced controls like stickiness, eye/skin controls, muscles setups and also showing proxy high performance rigs.

If you want advice and you are in London make sure you pop by the Houdini pubs where all of us go.

:-)

Agosti Alessio
The problem is, as i told before as Softimage Rigger ,how is possible find a job in Houdini in Europe as Rigger / Char td.
I 'd like to migrate all my skills from Si to Houdini but only for my spec becouse the problem is time and knowledge, after i will see all simulation and so on but only when i am competitive in my field.

For you there is possible to find a job in this field or no? This is the question.

I ate so mutch Maya i try to but for do a simpler stuff need to open 10 tabs and so on is ridiculus.
Any advice please
and thank so mutch to Jordi for Help
AD need to learn a lot from Si !
  • Quick Links