IOR > surface model VOP > metals

5635   7   1
2624 posts
Metals have low IOR values like 0.45 . Clearly if you enter that value in the surface model vop for your IOR your going to get a render that looks far from correct.So bar making my own fresnel falloff to make something look artistically nice , I just wondered what IOR value should be entered for say gold ?

Kind regards

Rob
Gone fishing
918 posts
Hi there,

have a look here, the lower part applies to IOR:
http://mentalraytips.blogspot.de/2007/10/making-better-metal-with-miamaterial.html [mentalraytips.blogspot.de]

From my testings and the usual implementations of fresnel falloff this applies to the mantra surface shader too.

Crank up the fresnel, but keep your reflection intensity sane. Unless you need some ultra shiny polished metal surface start in the range of .3 to .5 intensity.

Cheers,

Andy
2624 posts
Interesting, having a low spec intensity makes for some very dull gold… heres my take ….

Rob

Attachments:
gold_v01_.jpeg (161.6 KB)

Gone fishing
258 posts
Crank up the ior to like 9….I just made a nice gold shader that was extensively used. I used a ramp driven Fresnel and an egdeFalloff connected to a ramp piped into spec and diffuse. A little noise on the normals….
258 posts
I do not have that shader as it was done onsite but here is a quick mock up…

Attachments:
goldTest_01.jpg (254.5 KB)
gold.hip (550.6 KB)

2624 posts
interesting approach . Another version of some gold

Attachments:
goldtype2_.jpeg (186.3 KB)

Gone fishing
4271 posts
Teapots and chrome/gold renders? I can't resist!

Attachments:
gold.jpg (140.0 KB)

if(coffees<2,round(float),float)
2624 posts
ha love it ! … I think we might have to turn this into a shiny stuff thread “while waiting for renders”

Rob
Gone fishing
  • Quick Links