Maya 2015 Crashes cooking basic otl file

6645   7   3
4 posts
following this tutorial - http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2738&Itemid=381 [sidefx.com] "CREATE YOUR OWN ASSET"

all I have in the scene is a grid and a Mountain deformer.
when i try to add the .otl file to Maya 2015 Mac OSX it crashes every time.

but when i make an asset that has only a sphere and nothing else, it loads fine.

UPDATE::

I can import an asset with a fractal but not mountain? odd is this a bug perhaps?.

this plugin is a game changer guys! AMAZING!
818 posts
Hm, interesting. There might be some library conflicts. When Maya crashed on OS X, there's usually a crash report. Would you be able to send me the crash report? That'd be helpful for debugging the problem.
Edited by - Feb. 2, 2015 15:33:06
Andrew / アンドリュー
23 posts
Just wanted to give this thread a bump as I am having the same issue, specifically with the Mountain SOP in Maya via Houdini Engine on OS X. To test I made an HDA which takes a grid as an input (to be supplied by Maya) and simply applies a Mountain SOP. When used in Maya I'm not getting a crash but it hangs and will never cook so I'm left with force quitting Maya.

Anything else I can try?

David
818 posts
davidderwin
Just wanted to give this thread a bump as I am having the same issue, specifically with the Mountain SOP in Maya via Houdini Engine on OS X. To test I made an HDA which takes a grid as an input (to be supplied by Maya) and simply applies a Mountain SOP. When used in Maya I'm not getting a crash but it hangs and will never cook so I'm left with force quitting Maya.
If you're seeing a hang, then it's probably a different issue. The hang happens when you connect the geometry in Maya, correct? Which Maya version and Houdini Engine version are you using?

When you used Force Quit to kill Maya, there should have been an error report. It'd help debug the issue if you can post the error report, or include it into a bug report.
Andrew / アンドリュー
23 posts
Ah, my apologies, I see now the issue on the thread was the OTL itself was crashing Maya. I am able to load the OTL without issue and you are correct, once I connect the plane in Maya to the input of the OTL containing the mountain SOP, it hangs and never cooks. I'm using Maya 2015 SP5 and Houdini Engine 14.0.230 on 10.10.2. When I just tested again to get the error report it did actually crash Maya once I connected the grid to the input of the OTL.

Error report attached.

Attachments:
maya_error_report.txt (160.3 KB)

818 posts
Thanks for the report! I think I know what the problem is. I've made a change that should fix the problem. It should be in tomorrow's build (13.0.677 and 14.0.234). Give it a try and let me know if it works out for you.
Andrew / アンドリュー
23 posts
That update worked! Able to use the Mountain SOP without issue now in Maya. Thanks for your help!
818 posts
Awesome! Thanks for reporting the problem!
Andrew / アンドリュー
  • Quick Links