How to get this effect?

5267   5   1
9 posts
Hello everybody,

Can anybody give me some tips on what to look inside houdini to get this effect?

Thanks!
9 posts
After playing all morning I think im almost there, im working with vdb.

One thing i cant figure out is how can I apply materials? I'm doing a digital asset for c4d and I'm struggling on adding 2 materials so I can modify this in octane for c4d, any tip please?

Thanks
373 posts
For quality, I would do it in a shader – I would use a volumesample of an sdf or a point cloud lookup in a shader to get the colors based on the distance.
Basically volume sample -> fit range -> ramp to drive the colors. OR a pointcloud lookup – distance to point -> fit range -> ramp.

The first image looks like more of a shader thing, the second is kind of a mix of both because they are displaced inward.

Since you're trying to do it in the asset for another package / rendering you'll need a lot of points, and can do the same thing in a sop vop/wrangle node. I would look for a way to in those apps to do the colors via shading.
Ian Farnsworth
9 posts
Thanks Solitude, will try the volume sample stuff, and also see if I can start learning mantra that seems a powerful render.

Cheers!
182 posts
You could actually achieve both looks in a shader with a worley noise and some fitting. The second image looks like the holes are transparent / refractive.
But that won't help you with octane + c4d so you'd have to get your hands dirty with mantra

Attachments:
worley_dots.hip (376.7 KB)
worley_holes.hip (611.0 KB)
worley_dots.jpeg (327.2 KB)
worley_holes.jpeg (379.4 KB)

9 posts
blackpixel
You could actually achieve both looks in a shader with a worley noise and some fitting. The second image looks like the holes are transparent / refractive.
But that won't help you with octane + c4d so you'd have to get your hands dirty with mantra

Wow these look great! thanks for that, I'm still learning houdini basics but I'll definetly check mantra stuff and go back to this file to analize it properly, seems an awesome render engine, thank you!
  • Quick Links