Issue with beveling points on curves!

2993   6   2
86 posts
hey guys, i have an annoying problem that is also a little hard to explain.. ive tried googling if someone had the same problem, but no luck
anyway
in houdini in any of the views if you have a curve where the first two points of that curve and the last two points of that curve are on the same axis you are not able to bevel the points correctly.
Is anyone having the same problem? Anything else works perfectly fine. But as soon as the first edge and the last edge
are on the same axis and pointing in the same direction etc. it does not work correctly
(basically first and last edges then get deleted and
the direction of the bevels of the remaining points is all messed up.)
Sorry for the poor explanation. Another way to think about it would be a square-wave that starts and ends going into the right direction (on the same level/height).

I would like to post a screenshot, but cant right now, but if necessary ill try to do it later! (now with screenshots)
As you can see if i change the height of one of the edges on at the end the bevel works fine

On a side note - these curves are really cool! Really remind me of the spline modeling in Max! Great Job!

All the best!
Edited by anon_user_58123709 - March 24, 2017 05:26:38

Attachments:
Basic Shape.png (611.3 KB)
Bevel not working.png (574.6 KB)
different height.png (602.2 KB)
bevel working.png (609.6 KB)

210 posts
This is a known issue. I'll post here when it's fixed.
86 posts
Great! Thank you very much!!
210 posts
This should be fixed in tomorrow's build.
86 posts
Wow, outstanding speed!

Thank you very much for fixing this so fast and for letting us know!
Modeling with these curve tools is really great!
210 posts
powerstroke3000
Modeling with these curve tools is really great!

I'm glad you think that. Polygon curve bevelling wasn't originally intended to be done as part of the new polybevel node and was only implemented at the end by somewhat of a hack that piggy-backs the regular point bevelling. The corner curves therefore are not exactly circular arcs and there's no stoppage points. I intend to take a stab at redoing the curve bevelling since it should be fairly straight forward to do independently but it's not currently our highest priority.
Edited by bardia - March 28, 2017 13:11:46
86 posts
I am happy you decided to implement it.. 90% of my modeling starts with these curves!
Really, really good tools for modeling!
  • Quick Links