OpenCL - global switch to turn off

5069   4   0
209 posts
Hi,
Can anyone tell me if there is a ‘global’ switch to off OpenCL on hole scene?
For example I need it for farm where we don`t have video card or CPU with GPU.

Maybe some env. var. for example HOUDINI_OCL_OFF ? But I didn't find something like that.

Cheers,
Ostap
Staff
6187 posts
CPU with GPU counts as a GPU device as far as OpenCL is concerned.

Ideally, your GPU-less servers will just automatically fall back to the Intel OpenCL CPU drivers. These should work on all i-series processors and the post-Phenom AMD processors.
209 posts
Thanks for your so fast response.

Unfortunately we don`t have CPU with GPU core, we have Intel Xeon CPU E5-2620 which not support Intel OpenCL CPU drivers.

And looks like only two way: print warning information “Dont send on farm OpenCL” and put it in front of artist monitor or find way how to force turn off OpenCL before send job on farm.

(Of course we can list all scene and find OpenCL check boxes but will be nice to find more elegant way)
Edited by Ostap - March 31, 2017 11:54:32
Staff
6187 posts
To repeat, you do *NOT* need a CPU with a GPU core.

One of the awesome things about OpenCL is that it has a CPU runtime that can run on the CPU without touching the GPU. This gets confusing when you do have a CPU with a GPU core, as you'll have two different OpenCL drivers available for the same chip. But in your case, it should be straightforward. If you are running Houdini 16.0, we include the Intel OpenCL CPU drivers with the install. So when a job that needs OpenCl runs on your servers, it should just fallback to the CPU. If it isn't, there is something else going wrong. (Look for a “Failed to load HFS OpenCL driver” on startup, or similar.)
209 posts
jlait
To repeat, you do *NOT* need a CPU with a GPU core.

One of the awesome things about OpenCL is that it has a CPU runtime that can run on the CPU without touching the GPU. This gets confusing when you do have a CPU with a GPU core, as you'll have two different OpenCL drivers available for the same chip. But in your case, it should be straightforward. If you are running Houdini 16.0, we include the Intel OpenCL CPU drivers with the install. So when a job that needs OpenCl runs on your servers, it should just fallback to the CPU. If it isn't, there is something else going wrong. (Look for a “Failed to load HFS OpenCL driver” on startup, or similar.)

Ok, Thanks.
Tried, fixed load OpenCL driver - works.
  • Quick Links