Limit refresh rate in viewport?

2673   4   1
2 posts
There seems to be no upper cap on the refresh/frame rate in the viewport when rotating the camera. Nvidia's shadowplay is reporting above 600-700 fps. I think this is overloading my graphics card because I am hearing a bunch of static buzzing from my headphones when I pivot the camera around and these numbers go up. I was able to solve this by enabling vsync in the Nvidia Control Panel, but maybe it should be built into the program? I see no reason to have a higher frame rate than the monitor can refresh.
1743 posts
If you turn on the Real Time Toggle, (the icon that looks like a clock in the lower right area of the screen), it'll limit the playback frame rate to the global animation frame rate, though it still may draw faster than that when changing parameters.
Writing code for fun and profit since... 2005? Wow, I'm getting old.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_HFmdvpe9U2G3OMNViKMEQ [www.youtube.com]
2 posts
I'm not talking about playback frame rate. I never hit the play button. I'm talking about how often the graphic card updates the image on screen when moving the camera.
Edited by Optagon - Nov. 20, 2017 12:26:55

Attachments:
screenshot.png (47.5 KB)

4189 posts
Optagon
I see no reason to have a higher frame rate than the monitor can refresh.

simple - you just tear the screen so you can process faster.

You need to ground your computer properly, static is a sign of a bad build.
1743 posts
After checking with the OpenGL expert, (I'm definitely not an expert), it turns out that it's one of those ironic issues where syncing in order to match the monitor refresh rate actually ends up slowing down updates to much slower than the monitor refresh rate in a bunch of common cases, because of issues syncing for each of the GL windows separately. (I hope I explained that in semi-accurate terms.)
Writing code for fun and profit since... 2005? Wow, I'm getting old.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_HFmdvpe9U2G3OMNViKMEQ [www.youtube.com]
  • Quick Links