POP Solver: Min/Max Substeps and CFL

1819   2   0
575 posts
hello,
I'm not sure about this in particle context, when there is no voxel data. I did a little test, where I bind-exported the timeinc to a attribute. When I raise the min substeps the timeinc drops, but without pscale attribute I found no way to have the substeps have a impact on the timeinc. I guess pscale is needed for this, but I would think, there should be a fallback value.
Now back to my lack of understanding. i shoot particles onto a wall with really low bounce. and watch the exported timeinc.
at the beginning, when they are fast the timeinc drops, but when slow after bounce the timeinc does not grow per particle, it seems the fastest particle determines the max substep, is this right?
thanks
Martin
8513 posts
sanostol
timeinc does not grow per particle, it seems the fastest particle determines the max substep, is this right?

that sounds right, isn't that the case for voxels too?
you can't have different TimeInc per particle or per voxel AFAIK, as Gas Substep is executing all input microsolvers with the same TimeInc based on a single Geometry/Field, regardless of whether those microsolvers even use that Geometry or not, so it has to be based on maximum velocity/scale ratio
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
575 posts
Hello, again
lets say I have a smoke sim and i have min substeps 1 and max substeps 3, how can I track what timeinc is used at the current frame, just for debug and understanding purposes.
I tried to add additional data and use $TIMEINC but that only captures the global substeps of the dop. then I tried to write it with a geometry VOP to the density field but no luck
how can I achieve this
thanks
Martin
  • Quick Links