Display options for Instance Node

3449   3   2
143 posts
Hi,

due to using Redshift, I have to use the Instance geometry node instead of the Copy to Points node, what I am struggling with is, that I can only ever see the geometry instanced to the first point, when both Fast or Full Point Instancing is on, every next point just gets a bounding box.
This makes it harder for me to do manual adjustments to the geometry the instances are being copied to.

Is it possible to somehow change the display options of the Instance geometry node to display geometry for all the points, or for a certain number of points closest to the camera?

Thanks in advance.
Cheers,
Ivan
Staff
5154 posts
Hard to say without a hip file, but you can try changing the polygon limit in the Optimization tab (16.5) or in the Geometry tab (16.0 and lower).
603 posts
I dont know this guy personally, but these videos might be of some help here….

Redshift for Houdini - Instancing - Beginner [www.sidefx.com]
Redshift for Houdini - Instancing - Intermediate [www.sidefx.com]

..as soon as my new computer system arrives, I'll record the Advanced Tutorial.
Houdini Indie
Karma/Redshift 3D
143 posts
Daryl Dunlap
I dont know this guy personally, but these videos might be of some help here….

Redshift for Houdini - Instancing - Beginner [www.sidefx.com]
Redshift for Houdini - Instancing - Intermediate [www.sidefx.com]

..as soon as my new computer system arrives, I'll record the Advanced Tutorial.

wow, thanks! these tutorials are really useful. Especially the intermediate one… mind blown! Can't wait to see the Advanced one.

I've tracked my issue down to the Viewport Display Options, in the Geometry tab, you can set the % of point instances being drawn.

Which brings me to another problem. The Instances being displayed as real geometry is also being clipped by the Scene Polygon Limit from the Optimize tab, which is a good thing. So now, when I use instances heavily, some get shown as bounding boxes, others as geometry, but it doesn't seem to be happening as intelligently as with Packed primitives - based on distance to the camera, rather, there seem to be a “every n-th” order to things. Is it possible to set up the display of instances, so that the Bounding Box display optimizations reacts to the camera position?
  • Quick Links