How to assign material for points?

3862   5   0
20 posts
I need to assign emission material to some points of my geometry. I want to depict vehicle marker lights.
Material node doesn't work.
How to do it?

Photoshop example -

41 posts
You can use copy SOP to copy little spheres to your mesh and then by using material node you can assign material to them. Or make it a separate object with new node and object merge.

Attachments:
copy_spheres.JPG (101.8 KB)

8539 posts
or just use Add SOP to attach Particle primitive to your points, then assign your material to that primitive
but if you want to make it a light, you should render such geo as a Geometry Light to get better sampling
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
20 posts
bobcat
You can use copy SOP to copy little spheres to your mesh and then by using material node you can assign material to them.

I thought about this method, and it works, done.
But why is it possible to assign material to polygons, but not to points? Such a process seems logical.

tamte
or just use Add SOP to attach Particle primitive to your points, then assign your material to that primitive
but if you want to make it a light, you should render such geo as a Geometry Light to get better sampling

Can you set an example? I'm not a professional of Houdini yet.
41 posts
“But why is it possible to assign material to polygons, but not to points? Such a process seems logical.”

I believe it is because points are infinitely small. They don't really have a surface by default.
4189 posts
Houdini can render unconnected points as a sphere or flat disc, with a material assigned at scene level. Not very user friendly but possible.

Attachments:
Points.hipnc (432.3 KB)
Screenshot_20190206_120608.png (332.1 KB)

• Quick Links