Using mix material in Octane to shade melting simulation

1259   0   1
1 posts
Hey everyone,

I've been stuck for a few days on a step from this great tutorial from CG Shortcuts. [www.youtube.com]. I've created the melting animation and have it all cached and ready to go, but I'm having trouble shading it so that the base mesh can be a different material from the melting parts. I had reached out and got an answer back, but I'm left with more questions than answers.

What they said to do is to use a mix material in my octane network and use the attributes I had created using the attribute transfer node to drive the "amount" input on the Octane mix material. They stated I should be able to find tutorials on this but I'm unable to find any, despite various google searches.

As an alternative, I don't mind the idea of also being able to export these separate meshes to an alembic to shade them separately in Blender, but I'd definitely prefer to stay within Houdini and render using Octane.

If someone has time for a step-by-step, that'd be great, but I'm a pretty independent learner. I would really just like someone to point me in the direction of tutorials or other learning materials that would help to solve this. I've attached a screenshot of my main node setup in case that helps and I'm happy to provide any other screenshots or anything like that.

I appreciate any help in advance!

Attachments:
Screenshot (28).jpg (512.6 KB)

• Quick Links