WIP- Sailing Ship [Game Art]

1933   2   0
4 posts
Hello, I was working on this procedural boat (grey renders)but i had to abandon it. (Worked on it on and off for fun)

But I decided I’ll work on it again, seriously this time, for this challenge, and added some more details to the hull. Problem is, the graph is messy and approximative, so the decks look ok in this render(colored) but they don’t follow the shape of the hull, which is procedural.
I plan to add more ropes between the masts and fix the graph part by part.

Till now the ship has no parameters, broken UVs, no textures, no simulation and is not game friendly(time to bake,geopolies,etc).
So, first, I’ll add the decks and ropes, all the while fixing the graph and optimizing it,
I’ll replace the placeholders with models done on 3dsmax or in Houdini.
Second I’ll do the Uvs of the boat and put textures on it.
Then if I have the time I’d like to explore simulation, cloth for the sails and buoyancy for the hull procedurally, but I won’t get ahead of myself, since I already have to learn UVs and Textures.

My post will also be delayed as I was not sure I’d participate in the challenge until today ^^
(This post is supposed to be around the 3rd of September 2021)
Edited by YoumnaSahab - Sept. 14, 2021 05:18:47

Attachments:
WIP0.png (115.8 KB)
WIP0'.png (28.8 KB)
WIP1.png (151.0 KB)

4 posts
The modelling is fixed, the graph makes a lot more sence, and was reduced a bit. I added some ropes and some models
I separated each group of primitives depending on the material. The Uvs are taking a lot of times to be calculated (is that normal? It’s taking 20 to 30 seconds), and I still have to check that they are correctly unfolded.
Unfortunately, my computer isn’t cooperating with me this week and is not letting me open Unreal for some reason...

Hopefully all goes well and I’ll be able to add some buoyancy on the hull to make it float (hopefully)

Here's a screenshot of the material division(made with colors) and the working graph, which is surprisingly organised xP

Have a nice day!

Attachments:
WIP5_modelingMaterial.jpg (169.5 KB)

4 posts
Parameters are done! Uvs too (now with the option to load them)
I was able to fix some of my problems with Unreal Engine, although I have my houdini engine session disconnecting every 3minutes or less...

Attachments:
ezgif.com-gif-maker(3).mp4 (8.6 MB)

• Quick Links