KineFX parent constraint

1538   4   1
441 posts
I'm trying to parent constraint an object to a bone of an imported KineFX "FBX Character Import" rig.

With a plain vanilla imported FBX one could simply add a constraint node and pick the parent, but I suppose that was too easy. Seems now the KineFX has become a black box for the constrain node, and I'm too much of a newbie to get the docs.

Does anyone have a clue ?

Thanks.
8689 posts
- you can use Capture Packed Geometry SOP

- or if by object you really mean object on object level:
append point wrangle after your animated skeleton
v@up = {1, 0, 0} * 3@transform;
v@N = {0, 0, 1} * 3@transform;
and then use Rivet Object, point to that wrangle or below and specify joint you want in its Point Group
Edited by tamte - Aug. 19, 2022 19:47:02
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
441 posts
Muchas gracias, I'll try to wrap my tiny head around that.

I also found this tutorial that gave some insight into the mystery : https://youtu.be/uw1wPmRsPiI [youtu.be]

Might come in handy in case anyone else wonders what and how.
441 posts
/obj/eyes
tamte
- you can use Capture Packed Geometry SOP

- or if by object you really mean object on object level:
append point wrangle after your animated skeleton
v@up = {1, 0, 0} * 3@transform;
v@N = {0, 0, 1} * 3@transform;
and then use Rivet Object, point to that wrangle or below and specify joint you want in its Point Group

I'm trying again to parent an object to a KineFX bone, and tried using the "Capture Packed Geo SOP" method. But I'm wondering how that supposed to work, I can see the rig and the object that has to be parented when I connect both.

But I can't seem to get the object to move with the bone I'd like to parent it to, or any other bone.

Does anyone have any pointers about how "Capture Packed Geo" is supposed to work ?

Thanks.
Edited by toonafish - May 25, 2024 09:30:14
441 posts
Just in case someone else wonders, Parker Coleman to the rescue : https://youtu.be/0XPCNxefOz8?si=uNmP-k4Pj7f61812 [youtu.be]

Works like a charm, unless you need to animate the constrained object. Then you’re in big trouble…
Edited by toonafish - May 25, 2024 12:17:57
  • Quick Links