Question about Modeler add-on

3795   7   3
64 posts
Hi all! I wanted to ask about Modeler for Houdini. Is it an important add-on or is it easier to model in some other program when your main software is Houdini? I know that mostly people are doing things in Houdini that are not related to direct modeling at all. Still, it's interesting to hear opinions.
alexeyvanzhula.gumroad.com
10 posts
Alexey
Personally, I think having Modeler in my tool kit gives me the best of both worlds. It is important to be able to model procedurally in Houdini. Clearly proceduralism is one of the main strengths of Houdini. As a 3D modeler with lots of experience I know that non-procedural and semi-procedural workflows are also very important. Having both workflows available in Houdini is truly a game changer and makes for a more complete modeling experience. Now I can ditch some other software and use Houdini more and more. That's a good thing imho.

BTW, I am not saying you can't model non-procedurally in vanilla Houdini but it is Modeler's emphasis on SPEED! that sets it apart.
233 posts
How does it compare to other top modellers out there?
64 posts
Modeler has the same tools as in other polygonal modeling software. In some cases it is even better, for example PolyPen tool is a unique feature. But that's just my opinion. Want to hear user opinions.
Edited by anon_user_95266836 - Sept. 21, 2022 11:04:07
alexeyvanzhula.gumroad.com
10 posts
LukeP
How does it compare to other top modellers out there?

Alexey seems to have a lot of modeling experience and has draw ideas from many different modeling packages. There are ideas from Maya, Zbrush, Modo, and others that I don't even know. Of course, it is built on top of Houdini so there are many Houdini tools in it. The pen tool alone IS worth the price of admission which is very reasonable. Every modeling application is different but if you want to do hard-surface direct modeling in Houdini then Modeler2023 is a no-brainer.
The interface for modeler has developed over the last couple of years and the latest Modeler 2023 is the best yet. I used Maya for many years for modeling and I would say that Modeler along with native Houdini tools does everything that Maya does and SO Much more.
Edited by cushwa - Sept. 21, 2022 19:04:18
233 posts
Why just hard surface modelling?
10 posts
LukeP
Why just hard surface modelling?

Hard surface modelling is some of the most technically difficult modelling that requires these sorts of tools. You can do anything you want these tools. You can do base meshes that you then take into Zbrush. Or do organic modeling for foliage, etc. It's up to you.
94 posts
Modeler is awesome, it always pushes Houdini to its limits in terms of usability and UX. Modeler's desktop demonstrates that the interface of Houdini can be very clean and extremely versatile at the same time, thanks to modeler's launcher menu which make difference between clicking on buttons and pressing hotkeys almost neglectable and because of that learning curve feels very smooth and natural. I agree with Timurproko that the unlimited history of edits provided by Houdini is a blessing in comparison with my modeling experience in other software packages. While sculpting as I seen in another thread is still under a big question in Houdini, polygonal modeling is already here if significantly enhanced by Modeler's unique tools such as Polypen, Flatten, improved Extrude and Bevel tools, EdgeFlow and QuadFlow, Move/smooth brush, Bridge connected, easy to use QuickPivot and Align tools and many others. So, I encourage everyone to give it a try and I wonder why there is no link to it yet: Modeler 2023 [alexeyvanzhula.gumroad.com]
  • Quick Links