Generate Road tool and importing into Unreal.

1031   1   1
5 posts
Hi,

Houdini version: 19.5.534
Unreal version: 5.1.1

My ultimate goal: Create a road network in Unreal. Each road should be based on a spline so I can move actors along it (without using a Navmesh).

I am trying to use the Labs Road Generator.

This is what a simple intersection looks like in Houdini.

This is what it looks like in Unreal.

The issue is that splines are created for the curved (red parts), but no splines are created for the straight (green) parts.

I am very new to Houdini (basically just trying to use it for OpenStreemMap -> Unreal (with splines), so I don't fully understand everything it's doing.

This is what the graph looks like, which is directly from the demo.

The only thing I added is the `attribwrangle` node which simply does this:

(Sets `i@unreal_output_curve = 1;` on the curve. (Without this, I get no splines at all.)

Is this working as intended (e.g. straight parts don't get splines). Is there a way to get houdini to generate splines for the straight parts?

Thank you
Dan

Attachments:
SCR-20230308-m65.jpeg (423.5 KB)
SCR-20230308-m6v.jpeg (714.7 KB)
SCR-20230308-m8j.png (495.7 KB)
SCR-20230308-m8w.png (407.6 KB)

5 posts
Ok, somewhat answering my own question, now that I understand better how Houdini works...

Looking inside the Road Generator itself, I can see what happens to the straight lines. They seem to get converted to dots, and then the road tiles are placed on those dots. So the lines are, in fact, gone.

I thought maybe I could just pass in the original lines and use those as splines, but they don't really match up with the road after all the processing that was done to them.

So I guess the answer here is to edit the Road Generator network to output proper lines that go along the road.

Attachments:
SCR-20230313-c7o.jpeg (291.2 KB)

• Quick Links