Any luck finding a fix for the SystemD service REHL9 ?

1895   7   2
35 posts
Hey guys, just looping back here before I decide to scratch REHL / Rocky for good and jump on the Debian side.
Anyone got a fix for the Systemd service dropping or not launching at boot time on REHL 9 distro ?
And on that note, beside everyone Pop!OS love, is there a Debian distro particularly functional with Houdini and the usual eco system ? Like not being able to have a system tray is annoying on some apps (aka Deadline Launcher for example, Shot grid etc)

Thanks

Tanguy
311 posts
All I can say is that Debian11 (XFCE) is playing nicely with Houdini and everything else I throw at it. So I'm using it nearly everywhere at home and at work in an school facility wherever possible. Timeshift for system backup and custom scripts for file backups. TurboVNC for free remote desktop. Overall I feel I'm in control and the system gets out of the way as it should. Even ZBrush play okay with the stable Wine, and it just feels too good. Being able to run RenderMan using alien conversion (think it was) was also a surprise.

Edit: Got a report about a display bug in Houdini for Debian 12 and I usually avoid the latest for above reasons.
Edited by SWest - Aug. 4, 2023 13:15:22
Interested in character concepts, modeling, rigging, and animation. Related tool dev with Py and VEX.
Staff
467 posts
Which systemd service are you referring to? I develop on Rocky 9 (compatible with RHEL 9), and I haven't run into any issues.
35 posts
After my boot I need to start the License tools and fire up systemd from there to get my licenses working.
474 posts
Was the service enabled? If not, maybe something went wrong during installation and you need to do it manually?
systemctl enable sesinetd.service
If sesinetdservice still fails to start, check the logs!

tanguybc
After my boot I need to start the License tools and fire up systemd from there (...)
I'm not sure what you mean by that. Systemd starts on boot. If it didn't on systemd-dependent distros, many services, including important ones like udev, dbus, NetworkManager, etc. wouldn't start. In fact, I think your whole user space wouldn't bootstrap at all.

SWest
All I can say is that Debian11 (XFCE) is playing nicely with Houdini and everything else I throw at it. (...) Timeshift for system backup and custom scripts for file backups. (...) Overall I feel I'm in control and the system gets out of the way as it should. Even ZBrush play okay with the stable Wine, and it just feels too good.
Correctamundo. Can't agree more.

SWest
Being able to run RenderMan using alien conversion (think it was) was also a surprise.
Alien also worked fantastically for Indie versions of Substance Painter and Designer which were released as RPMs in the good old times when Allegorithmic was still an awesome independent company.
Edited by ajz3d - Aug. 4, 2023 18:09:53
35 posts
Okay what I meant was that sesinetd is not starting at boot time. I have to run the tool manually.
Now I ran the systemctl enable sesinetd.service and I have a:

Aug 04 12:44:07 bod-WS2 systemd: Starting LSB: Script to start and stop the Houdini License Manager...
Aug 04 12:44:07 bod-WS2 sesinetd: - Failed to find gid from name (www-data).
Aug 04 12:44:07 bod-WS2 sesinetd: - Failed to find uid from name (www-data )

And a :$ sudo systemctl enable sesinetd.service
password for tang:
sesinetd.service is not a native service, redirecting to systemd-sysv-install.
Executing: /usr/lib/systemd/systemd-sysv-install enable sesinetd
Failed to execute /usr/lib/systemd/systemd-sysv-install: No such file or directory

So here probably the issue...
Staff
467 posts
Try running sudo dnf install chkconfig, reboot the machine and try enabling the service again.
35 posts
Worked !

Coolio

Thank you John
  • Quick Links