Snapshots with Renderman

1070   8   1
575 posts
Hello,
when working with Renderman snapshots create black thumbnails, it seems that the snapshot tool uses the color channel to create the thumbnail. Is there a way to use Ci instead of color?
thanks
Martin
Staff
451 posts
Hi Martin, do you have a simple hip file I can try? Which version of Houdini? Which version of RenderMan/RenderManForHoudini?

I'm not observing this being an issue when using H19.5 & RfH25.2

Attachments:
rfh.png (1.6 MB)

12 posts
I'm having the same issue (though my snapshot thumbnails are pure white instead of black).

H 19.5.640
RfH 25.2
Staff
451 posts
Dan_Andersen
I'm having the same issue (though my snapshot thumbnails are pure white instead of black).

Can you share a hip file?
Staff
451 posts
Also, while it's not an officially-approved build of Houdini for RfH 25.2, can you try with 19.5.768 or newer? We fixed an issue with thumbnail generation in that release.
Edited by robp_sidefx - Nov. 8, 2023 08:28:38
12 posts
Hi Rob. There's no easy way for me to extract a file from our network for upload and regarding testing in a more recent H19.5 build, I'm told that can't happen until there's a Pixar sanctioned RenderMan build ready. Oh well..

Anyway, to narrow it down a bit I can reproduce the issue with these steps:
- 1) Create "Cube"-node
- 2) Create "RenderMan Render Settings"-node

Snapshots with the displayFlag on the cube look correct, while snapshots with the displayFlag on the Render Settings show the cube as pure white.

If I disable the "Include AOVs"-option on the "Display Options"-tab of the Render Settings node snapshots look correct.
575 posts
Hello, sorry for the delayed response. We use houdini 19.5.640 and Renderman 25.2.

Snapshots work until You view the Renderman Lop, as it sets the Color AOV to ci, if You view the node before the snap shots work again, and it is not really the snap shot, it is the thumbnail. The actual Snapshot that opens is correct and You can see that the Aov is called ci instead of color

Martin
Staff
451 posts
Dan_Andersen
snapshots with the displayFlag on the Render Settings show the cube as pure white

Last check: are you using OCIO profiles? This is really starting to sound like an issue that got fixed in 19.5.768, whereby if a snapshot was taken of an RGB (not RGBA) image, and OCIO was enabled, then the thumbnail could go white/black.

In such an environment, I can reproduce the issue (i.e., with 19.5.640).
12 posts
Yes, we are using OCIO profiles. Happy to hear this issue will likely go away as soon as we can update to a new build.
  • Quick Links