Render millions of points

647   5   1
88 posts
Hello,

I created a fabric as shown here:

I mapped it on the rubbertoy.

So now I have 21.000 curves with altogether 53.000.000 points (though I used only two sweep steps instead of four). It's still possible to edit them in the viewport, but when I tried to import them to Solaris there was no way of working with that amount of data any further.
So I tried to render it with Mantra and the hairshader, but the render view predicted to take hours to render a small section of a single frame.

Do you know any economic way to render that many curves to get a look as in the video without using a renderfarm?

Attachments:
rubbertoy.jpg (205.8 KB)

=================
Intel core i7 6700K
AMD Radeon RX 580
2536 posts
Try rendering from the /out context. Drop down a Karma ROP instead of using Solaris.
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
88 posts
Thanks, I didn't know there's also an option.

Still technically it's the same, just a lopnet inside that node. I also hear my computer is wheezing the same as if he won't survive this. But I hope it's setting everything up for me correctly, so I don't have to adjust anything myself.
=================
Intel core i7 6700K
AMD Radeon RX 580
273 posts
Once imported into lops what does your scene description look like in the Scene Graph Tree? Any chance you can attach a screen grab? How much memory is Houdini using? I was able to generate 40K curves with 100 million points in sops and get it into lops (via sopcreate) and start getting pixels from karma in about 10 seconds. Memory is around 20G.
7770 posts
freewind
Thanks, I didn't know there's also an option.

Still technically it's the same, just a lopnet inside that node. I also hear my computer is wheezing the same as if he won't survive this. But I hope it's setting everything up for me correctly, so I don't have to adjust anything myself.

is it possible the curves don't have a width/pscale attribute? This will cause it to freeze up as it tries to render 1 meter wide curves, or millions upon millions of intersecting surfaces. Setting the width to a small reasonable value first may help things.
88 posts
antc
Once imported into lops what does your scene description look like in the Scene Graph Tree? Any chance you can attach a screen grab? How much memory is Houdini using? I was able to generate 40K curves with 100 million points in sops and get it into lops (via sopcreate) and start getting pixels from karma in about 10 seconds. Memory is around 20G.
Good to know there actually is a way to render it. Nonetheless for now I reduced the point density to an overall amount of 3 million points, that probably is enough.
The main reason it was not able to be displayed in the lopnet was pscale eventually.
jsmack
is it possible the curves don't have a width/pscale attribute? This will cause it to freeze up as it tries to render 1 meter wide curves, or millions upon millions of intersecting surfaces. Setting the width to a small reasonable value first may help things.
yes, pscale was 1 everywhere cause I want to use it to animate the fabric. Now set to 1e-4 (after it is animated) it works easily. I didn't think about that, thank you very much!
=================
Intel core i7 6700K
AMD Radeon RX 580
  • Quick Links