Houdini Apprentice

2038   11   2
7 posts
Hello,

Houdini Apprentice starts up and just closes immediately. No errors nothing, just opening and closing. And that's all.
And I don’t know what to do.
555 posts
click on "support" ? yeah, this page, up top.
833 posts
Maybe some more info? I mean come on! I swear one of my upcoming tutorials will be on how to properly ask for help on a public forum.

At minimum we need version of OS, version of Houdini, some info on your hardware and any other useful stuff to help us diagnose.

Without knowing any of that it's just a wild guess. My wild guess is that the License Administrator isn't able to reach SideFX to get a license for your machine.
>>Kays
For my Houdini tutorials and more visit:
https://www.youtube.com/c/RightBrainedTutorials [www.youtube.com]
7 posts
Средняя фаза
Maybe some more info? I mean come on! I swear one of my upcoming tutorials will be on how to properly ask for help on a public forum.

At minimum we need version of OS, version of Houdini, some info on your hardware and any other useful stuff to help us diagnose.

Without knowing any of that it's just a wild guess. My wild guess is that the License Administrator isn't able to reach SideFX to get a license for your machine.

I apologize.

Houdini version: latest
Processor: Core i7-9700 (SSE 4.2 supported)
RAM: 32 Gb

When i start Houdini, a window like this just appears and after a few seconds it closes. There are no errors, no warnings, no messages, it just closes and that's all:

Edited by Android1 - 2021年5月31日 01:35:09
833 posts
As I said, I would think that perhaps the License Administrator is having a hard time connecting to the SideFX servers. The first thing that it's supposed to happen when you launch Apprentice is that you should get this window to pop up. If you haven't seen this yet, then something is preventing the License Administrator from either launching or connecting to SideFX.

If you did get the License Administrator window already, and you did install the Apprentice license then perhaps something else might be going on possibly related to a driver incompatibility.

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2021-05-30 at 11.29.20 PM.png (283.2 KB)

>>Kays
For my Houdini tutorials and more visit:
https://www.youtube.com/c/RightBrainedTutorials [www.youtube.com]
7 posts
Средняя фаза
As I said, I would think that perhaps the License Administrator is having a hard time connecting to the SideFX servers. The first thing that it's supposed to happen when you launch Apprentice is that you should get this window to pop up. If you haven't seen this yet, then something is preventing the License Administrator from either launching or connecting to SideFX.

Well, the houdini would at least display some message, otherwise it just closes and that's it. It's not serious like that.
7 posts
Midphase
If you did get the License Administrator window already, and you did install the Apprentice license then perhaps something else might be going on possibly related to a driver incompatibility.

The license is ok:

Houdini just won't start. At the same time, it does not give out any errors or messages.
Great fu?ing program.

Now I understand why some people want to use hacked versions of Houdini.
555 posts
LOL, you reckon using the cracked version will fix your problem ? try looking at your graphics card rather than throwing a tantrum.
7 posts
Вуста
LOL, you reckon using the cracked version will fix your problem ? try looking at your graphics card rather than throwing a tantrum.

Please do not throw a tantrum, the point of my message is that the houdini crashes or just closes - without any error messages or warnings.

This is very bad programming tone! Houdini programmers can't make a simple error handler? This is all really disgusting. Indeed, in fact, Houdini is paid and programmers could do error handling, and not allow the program to crash just like that!

Why, as a user, should I guess what the error is - in the video card or in the position of Mars relative to the earth at the vernal equinox hour at the time of the launch of the Houdini?
Edited by Android1 - 2021年5月31日 04:26:16
スタッフ
175 posts
Hi,

The behaviour of Houdini closing without informing the user was partially fixed within the past week or so (next production build) and was fully fixed in the next release.

Some other useful tips for determining an issue specific to licensing:
  1. Generate a license diagnostic from hkey/sesictrl.
  2. Check the hserver and/or sesinetd logs.
  3. Check that both hserver and sesinetd are running okay. Try running `sesictrl ping` for both servers.
  4. Check the FAQs here. [www.sidefx.com]
  5. Check Houdini help here. [www.sidefx.com]
  6. Check the temp folder for a crash log.

Cheers,
Matt Warner
Software Developer - Licensing
SideFX
7 posts
Мэттью
Hi,

The behaviour of Houdini closing without informing the user was partially fixed within the past week or so (next production build) and was fully fixed in the next release.

Generate a license diagnostic from hkey/sesictrl.

As you can see in the screenshot above, there are no problems with the license.
The problem apparently turned out to be in the video card, but for this I had to guess, although I expected to see this message from the houdini.
Edited by Android1 - 2021年5月31日 13:09:11
555 posts
Android1
Мэттью
Hi,

Generate a license diagnostic from hkey/sesictrl.

As you can see in the screenshot above, there are no problems with the license.
The problem apparently turned out to be in the video card, but for this I had to guess, although I expected to see this message from the houdini.

OK, you guessed it...like I told you so.
  • Quick Links