SopImport Save Path warning

5099   8   2
207 posts
Started seeing this in my scene files after upgrading to 19.5:

"The layer imported from SOPs has no save path set. The SOP node's layer will be output to a file path generated from its Houdini path."

ELI5; for someone with infantile USD fluency trying desperately to understand Solaris, what does this mean and how is it properly solved?
1743 posts
I have some sketchy notes here that try and stay jargon free (well, jargon free-ish):

https://www.tokeru.com/cgwiki/index.php?title=UsdGuide11 [www.tokeru.com]
http://www.tokeru.com/cgwiki [www.tokeru.com]
https://www.patreon.com/mattestela [www.patreon.com]
207 posts
You are excellent sir.

Followup question: my Solaris setup begins with a SopImport node: I have several SopNets in Solaris, each of which make some geo. Then, I use SopImports to assemble them all.

When I leave the "Layer Save Path" param empty on the sop imports, I see warnings mentioned above. My understanding of your docs is that I can fix this warning just by providing something useful in that parameter, so I turn it on and do something like

"$HIP/../tmp/thing.usd"

But now I get a new, even less helpful warning:

Could not load sublayer @op:/stage/sopnet/OUT.sop:SDF_FORMAT_ARGS:authormaterialpath=0&globalauthortimesamples=0&kindschema=nestedgroup&pathprefix=/world/geo/gallery/interior&savepath=H:/houdini/tmp/thing.usd&savepathtimedep=0&scalarconstantattribs=albedo_texture roughness_texture bump_texture displacement_texture&seed=588.616&t=0@ of layer @anon:00000011792D0200:LOP:rootlayer@; skipping. (Recomposing stage on stage @anon:00000011792D0200:LOP:rootlayer@ <00000011EE707C80>)

What's THIS one mean?

Interestingly, if I just use $HIP/thing.usd, I get no complaints. But that doesn't help me understand what's going on...
Edited by dhemberg - 2022年8月8日 09:40:46
7802 posts
dhemberg
You are excellent sir.

Followup question: my Solaris setup begins with a SopImport node: I have several SopNets in Solaris, each of which make some geo. Then, I use SopImports to assemble them all.

When I leave the "Layer Save Path" param empty on the sop imports, I see warnings mentioned above. My understanding of your docs is that I can fix this warning just by providing something useful in that parameter, so I turn it on and do something like

"$HIP/../tmp/thing.usd"

But now I get a new, even less helpful warning:

Could not load sublayer @op:/stage/sopnet/OUT.sop:SDF_FORMAT_ARGS:authormaterialpath=0&globalauthortimesamples=0&kindschema=nestedgroup&pathprefix=/world/geo/gallery/interior&savepath=H:/houdini/tmp/thing.usd&savepathtimedep=0&scalarconstantattribs=albedo_texture roughness_texture bump_texture displacement_texture&seed=588.616&t=0@ of layer @anon:00000011792D0200:LOP:rootlayer@; skipping. (Recomposing stage on stage @anon:00000011792D0200:LOP:rootlayer@ <00000011EE707C80>)

What's THIS one mean?

Interestingly, if I just use $HIP/thing.usd, I get no complaints. But that doesn't help me understand what's going on...

Do you want the sop layers to actually be saved to different files, or just used to build a larger single file? If you don't want individual files, then just check the box to copy onto the stage.
207 posts
It's not my goal to save anything; just trying to muddle my way through building a renderable scene in Solaris. As I mentioned above, this file offered no warnings or errors in H19, but suddenly lots of errors in 19.5, and it wasn't clear to me why.

Ticking on "copy contents into editable layer" seems to remove the warnings.
7802 posts
dhemberg
Ticking on "copy contents into editable layer" seems to remove the warnings.

The no save path set warning you can ignore if you don't plan on saving out a usd scene for consumption by others. I'm not sure why you are getting layer not found error when using a relative path for a save path. Try using an absolute path instead.
11 posts
Yeah I get this message too when using SOP create in reference mode. Seems the problem is with using a relative path that points above hip location, like $HIP/../usd/pig.usda. If I use $HIP/usd/pig.usda it's fine.

A relative path above hip works everywhere else like in Config layer and usd rop so it would be nice to have it behave similar in sop create/import.
7802 posts
ChristianP
Yeah I get this message too when using SOP create in reference mode. Seems the problem is with using a relative path that points above hip location, like $HIP/../usd/pig.usda. If I use $HIP/usd/pig.usda it's fine.

A relative path above hip works everywhere else like in Config layer and usd rop so it would be nice to have it behave similar in sop create/import.

Use an absolute path. Try pre-expanding a relative path to an absolute path by passing a 'unix style' relative path to the abspath() expression function.
スタッフ
4443 posts
The bug with using save path with relative components ($HIP/../usd/pig.usda) is fixed in 19.5.354.
  • Quick Links