Help browser not working

6873   8   3
214 posts
Anyone have any ideas why my help browser on Windows would not be working? Brand new computer - first install of Houdini on it. I just get a blank help browser. Not sure where to begin diagnosing that problem. Tried disabling the firewall and that did not work.

I know I can look at online help, but I really would like to have my local help working so I can launch example files.

Thank you!
Adam
7722 posts
Does hbrowser.exe show up in the Task Manager? You could try pressing the help button a few more times. I've noticed that it can be slow to startup.
214 posts
Hey Edward, thanks for the response. I have to check when I am at work on Monday and get back to you. Definitely pressing the help button a few times makes no difference. If it were only that simple… :wink:
214 posts
Yes, hbrowser.exe does show up in my task list. Just blank help pane. I am positive the help docs are installed. Just does not seem to be connecting to the local help files for some reason. Is there some place where I can tell the help browser where to look for the help files?
214 posts
Bump.

Still no progress here. Any ideas? Any things I should be checking?
7722 posts
Sorry, not sure what's happening. It sounds like something is blocking it on your system, not sure what though. Mind you, it works for me but I have a pretty old build installed. Maybe someone else on Windows can confirm whether they have problems.
383 posts
I seem to have a similar problem, but for me it is sufficient to restart houdini. In 3 out of 4 tries help works. The rest of the time the help button seems to do nothing until I restart Houdini. Fresh install of win 7 x64. Latest x64 Production build of houdini, but problem was already under Hou11 present.
www.woogieworks.at
214 posts
Thanks guys. I will keep trying things and see if I can figure it out. Maybe there is some way the computer here at work is configured that is blocking the help browse. If I figure it out I will post back.
88 posts
same problem on fedora 36
  • Quick Links