Asset within another asset: bad idea?

1534   3   1
1010 posts
Hi!

I often make small assets to do basic things. Some times I use those basic assets inside other bigger assets. Could this eventually cause problems?

-Olivier
8573 posts
All Houdini works this way, look into any native HDA and you have a chance to see another nested HDAs in there etc.

It can of course cause problems, mostly logistical ones
As you will need to manage them and be aware that if you update nested asset it may alter the functionality or break the parent one if you are not careful, or if you do your changes as a new version it will not, but then you may need to update your parent one with a newer version of nested asset if you need to, etc.
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
1010 posts
Thanks the info!

-Olivier
22 posts
While working with nested assets I noticed that only the first layer of nested assets is installed. Is this correct?

So the setup is:
Asset A contains Asset B / Asset B contains Asset C and Asset C contains Asset D.
Asset B is inside Asset A. So all Assets are nested in Asset A.

Sorry for the confusion

If I install asset A in my hip File only Asset B is installed, which is directly in Asset A. Asset C (inside Asset B) is not installed and will not work. Only the assets directly inside of the installed asset will work but not the assets inside of them.

I will not overdo it with nested assets but for small tools and custom shaders etc. its handy.

Here you can see the test Asset. Asset B,C,D are nested in A. If all are installed it works. But if you install Asset A in a fresh scene only A and B are working.
Edited by jon3de - 2023年4月11日 11:29:46

Attachments:
nestedAssets.jpg (159.9 KB)

https://vimeo.com/jon3de [vimeo.com]
  • Quick Links