The "correct" way to set up overscan for Karma H20?

642   5   2
63 posts
Hello there.
I'm wondering about what it the best way to go about setting up overscan for Karma. When looking at online tutorials etc. tabs/parameters seems to have jumped around from earlier versions of Houdini to Houdini 20. I am currently on the latest production build of H.20 and did find the Data Window NDC buried under Image Output/Aspect Ratio/Data Window NDC.

However, when I enter -0.1,-0.1,1.1,1.1 for a standard 10% overscan I cannot see this reflected in neither the regular viewer nor in MPlay... This seems very wrong to me. I did get an overscan rendered when sending things to disk though. But if feels like I am missing something here. Why do I not see overscan reflected in the viewer/MPlay? And how can I get this to work properly?

Help is much appreciated!

Thanks,
Dag
7785 posts
how would you see parts of the image outside of the display window? Normally, you have to open such a file in Nuke or another compositor and translate the image to reveal the overscanned portion of the image.
8568 posts
while this doesn't seem to be currently possible (or even historically with Mantra), and it's been always common to just believe the correct data is being rendered in overscan regions it would be definitely helpful to be able to see them in viewport and Mplay, so please submit RFE
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
スタッフ
2592 posts
In mplay, you can actually click and drag a display window that shows data in the overscan area.
If you zoom out, you should see the blue border showing the data window.
Shift-click and drag out a region and you can see the data outside the display.
31 posts
+1 from me about overscan (ndc) guides in the viewport. In the image below it could look like the video safe areas do.

Also right now karma is rendering with the ndc included in the viewport while opengl doesnt. I think it would be nice if both behaved the same where there is an option to have karma and opengl not showing the ndc/overscan area and the option to show the overscan area but with a guide.

Attachments:
solaris_overscan.png (1.3 MB)

cg supervisor @goodbyekansas
63 posts
Hello guys.
Thanks for your replies!
Yes, I think I will submit an RFE. Having options to be able to see the actual data that gets rendered to ensure your overscan is correct would be super nice.

Thanks again,
Dag
  • Quick Links