Houdini on Hyprland — Surprisingly Good, with a Few Quirks

   268   0   0
User Avatar
Member
13 posts
Joined: 4月 2021
オフライン
I was drawn to Hyprland (specifically Omarchy Linux) because I really dislike cluttered desktop environments, and I’ve been using it quite intensively for about a month now.

At first, I assumed that a DCC application like Houdini, with all its floating windows and panels, would be a terrible fit for a tiling window manager. But after having an AI agent help me solve a bunch of small issues, I was surprised to find that the overall experience is actually very good.

For example, since essentially any Houdini panel can be detached into its own window, Hyprland’s window-management model becomes surprisingly useful. You can hold Meta and drag with the right mouse button from anywhere inside the active window to resize it in any direction, which makes reading information-heavy layouts—especially in LOPs—a bit easier.

You can also send specific windows to an overlay layer and bring them up with a shortcut whenever you need them, almost like casually checking a social media app.

And all of this is already working under XWayland. If Houdini ever gets proper native Wayland support, I think I’d be very happy indeed.
  • Quick Links