Error downloading Houdini from Sidefx.com

17372   23   1
104 posts
Hello Sesi,

Have tried to download houdini (does not matter which version or build) and my download always halts about 18.4 MB, then craps out and tells me it is finished as it “completes” the file at 20.5 MB.

Anyone else experience this??

It's been going on for a week now - I thought it was a server problem that would have gotten fixed by now.

Have also tried downloading with different browsers and computers.

–Carlos
4140 posts
They've been having disk space issues, it's fine now. If you're still finding it wrong, then it's likely your browser cache. I know I had to clean mine out.

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
104 posts
Wish that was the issue. But I tried that today on a fresh install of XP on a new computer.

So, something is still not working on the Side Effects server side…

–Carlos
4140 posts
It's something your end, I just downloaded the latest 32bit windows VC8 cut and its fine.

Perhaps if you indicated specifically which file you're trying to download…

Try disabling any download helpers, etc.

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
104 posts
This has never been a problem before.

Not using any helpers - straight link clicking and saving on IE, Firefox, Chrome. All crap out a 20mb file. Downloading the 64bit or 32bit windows 9.1.350 build.

Thanks for the help though…

–Carlos
4140 posts
Just checked that one -it's fine. I suggest you snag the latest build, it's a bit farther down the page under Daily Builds. I'm reasonably convinced it's a cache that refuses to clear out for you for one reason or another, but there may be other things at play. The latest build will work for whatever flavour you're running, including Apprentice.

J.C.
John Coldrick
104 posts
Just tried Safari - fresh install…

Tried downloading the latest w64bit build, craps out at the exact same place… from my other laptop.

I can downloading from any other site just fine… it's only the SideFX.com site that is not working for me.

Now why would that be? … first time seeing this kind of problem… SESI?

–Carlos
12474 posts
You know what? We have that exact problem at R+H. I end up having to ssh into odforce.net and using lynx to pull it down (lighting fast) and then http xfer from odforce to R+H, slow but steady.

It always halts at 20mb - must be some dumb ISP here in California thats having issues, perhaps? I can't think of any other reason for it.

Downloading from home has no problems.

Perhaps if we compared traceroutes we could figure out where the bottleneck is? I don't know enough about it.
Jason Iversen, Technology Supervisor & FX Pipeline/R+D Lead @ Weta FX
also, http://www.odforce.net [www.odforce.net]
104 posts
Wow … so I am not crazy after all eh?

Well, I am in Vancouver - so I am going to keep saying it's a SESI server side problem until they prove me wrong. Unless your ISP in LA and my ISP in Vancouver are having the EXACT same problem … what are the chances of that? SESI?

Anyhow, yeah, perhaps we can do a trace - will look into how that's done, never done one before but there is always a first…

Cheers
104 posts
I also just tried downloading the other OS builds (9.5.378) and the download only craps out on the win32 and win64 versions - so it should be obvious that it is a SESI server side problem…

unless hell has frozen over? With this economy, there may not be enough fuel in hell to keep the fires burning…

Anyone from SESI willing to give test this out yet?

–Carlos
203 posts
I have had the same problem with Windows 7 open beta and Firefox, but luckily Chrome works.
Most of My Houdini Renders [flickr.com]
My System [evga.com]
2624 posts
Ive just downloaded the latest daily build . Everything was fine

R
Gone fishing
104 posts
As I said, try downloading the win64 or 32 builds.

Those still halt at 18.4mb and then write a 20mb file as complete.

The other builds (linux/MacOS) download fine.

So still not working today…

–Carlos
スタッフ
1256 posts
Carlos
I also just tried downloading the other OS builds (9.5.378) and the download only craps out on the win32 and win64 versions - so it should be obvious that it is a SESI server side problem…

unless hell has frozen over? With this economy, there may not be enough fuel in hell to keep the fires burning…

Anyone from SESI willing to give test this out yet?

–Carlos

I tested the win32 and win64 builds and I haven't had any problems with them. The downloads completed for me and I was able to install Houdini. I also asked a couple of people from remote places to try the downloads and they haven't had any problems either. I double-checked the .exe files on the downloads page and the checksums looked fine. This is for the 9.5.350 build.

So I'm not entirely sure what the problem might be…

Are you able to download .exe files from other websites? Also, if possible, have you tried downloading the win32/win64 builds from another machine on a different network?

Sorry for the questions, but any bit of information would help in tracking down the problem.

Cheers,
Rob
12474 posts
I have the issue downloading linux builds from R+H, so I doubt it's the build. It doesn't seem to matter which machine I try from, or which browser (lynx/konqueror/firefox2). I'm glad I have a workaround.

I still suspect an odd proxy or ISP problem. I could post a traceroute if anyone wants to bother intersecting them.. if it'd help.

PS. It'll work like 1 time in 40 or something. It's not guaranteed to fail.
Jason Iversen, Technology Supervisor & FX Pipeline/R+D Lead @ Weta FX
also, http://www.odforce.net [www.odforce.net]
スタッフ
3455 posts
strange…
I don't think I've ever had an issue with DL'ing a build from SESI…in what? 5 years?
I grabbed a win32 build a few days ago and it was just fine…

sorry I can't offer any help…

SESI should really have a torrent server for builds and tutorials anyway…http is so 20th century
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
7725 posts
Carlos

Carlos, unless you missed it, the Internet *is* unreliable …
http://www.cotse.com/CIE/Course/Section3/14.htm [cotse.com]

4140 posts
Jason has kindly offered to share traceroutes, I strongly recommend doing that Carlos over just trying it over and over. This is a weird one, but it's pretty obviously something in between sesi and the target. I'll bet you dollars to donuts if the files weren't exe's, they would download fine. It's somebody's security trying to be ‘smart’ for you. I've asked for this in the past(I hate downloading exe's!) and someone gave a good reason why not. I hate good reasons!

I also hate torrents, for the record. Yet another client program to run, and subject to horrific abuse.

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
104 posts
Carlos, unless you missed it, the Internet *is* unreliable …
http://www.cotse.com/CIE/Course/Section3/14.htm [cotse.com]

Hey Edward, while I appreciate sense of humour - your may want to be more helpful instead of trying to make people feel incompetent.

When things like this happen - Side Effects may want to offer an alternate way of downloading their software - now wouldn't that make more sense?? ie - “Hello loyal and long time Houdini user and advocate, we don't know why you and others are having problems downloading our software, but we have made it available for download in an alternate method. Please try this… blah blah”. Sounds more helpful then the above statement.

I did finally manage to download the win64 build - not sure if it is working today, or why it finally worked yesterday after two weeks. Maybe it's internet un-reliability, or maybe it is something closer to home at Sidefx.com.

Cheers
Edited by - 2009年2月18日 13:07:11
104 posts
JC, Jason, thanks for trying to help!

Cheers
  • Quick Links