Nodes called for in beginner tuts do not exist in H19

3237   11   1
10 posts
Hi. I am a complete noob to Houdini. I am running on H19 Indie.

I have been attempting to complete the Soccer Ball and the Wine Glass tuts. Unfortunately, I am getting stuck on both of them because the videos and even the .pdfs call for nodes that do not exist in Houdini v19.

A perfect example is the Soccer Ball tut where the video calls for a 'for-each loop'

but, there is no for-each loop node. There are a number of other 'for each' nodes
but, none of them work for the tutorial and I can't find anything about what is the proper replacement node that I should be using instead.

I'm having a similar problem with the Wine Glass tut. In this case, both the video and the .pdf call for nodes that don't seem to exist anymore.

I'm very frustrated.
Edited by JKVisFX - 2021年12月12日 12:02:18

Attachments:
foreach menu from H19.jpg (77.4 KB)
foreach loop from video.JPG (17.3 KB)

670 posts
Try "for each named primitive" instead.
https://procegen.konstantinmagnus.de/ [procegen.konstantinmagnus.de]
10 posts
Thanks, Konstantine, for your response.

I used that node. It had all of the same settings as the 'foreach loop' node and I made absolutely certain I had all of the settings identical to the video but, instead of the ball showing at the 'foreach_end1' node, the ball just does not show at all. This brings me to a dead stop. I have re-done this part of the tut quite a few times and keep getting the same result. Any thoughts?
Edited by JKVisFX - 2021年12月12日 20:01:18
236 posts
Do you have a hip file?

L
I'm not lying, I'm writing fiction with my mouth.
10 posts
Hi tinyhawkus. Yes, I do have a .hip file, rather, it's a .hiplc file. Here you go...

Attachments:
Soccar Ball.hiplc (98.5 KB)

236 posts
You see the ! on your attribute create, it's telling there's a problem. That is the heart of the problem.
The Patches attribute is not being created at all, not sure why you're ignoring the ! that is telling you
there's an issue.
236 posts
Here you go.

So your problem is that the attribute create SOP is very old, and the @primnum doesn't work anymore,
it doesn't have a local variable. That is what the error is telling you.

So, instead, use a primitive wrangle and use the following code.
f@Patches = @primnum

This will give you the Patches attribute, which the "for each named primitive" will use to iterate over.
named prim just means it will iterate over, and extrude together any primitive face that has the same Patches
number. The for each uses the Patches attribute as the thing to iterate.

Lewis

Attachments:
SoccarBall_fixed.hiplc (109.6 KB)

10 posts
Thank you so much for your help. I deeply appreciate it.

I thought it might be something like that. I didn't know those '!' actually had information in them, I thought they were just like any other warning sign, did not understand what it was telling me. Remember, I am just starting out. Obviously, the tutorial needs to be updated to reflect this change. I noobie like me would have no way of figuring this out on his own. So, using 'primitive angle,' and the code, 'f@Patches = @primnum' is something I would have had no clue about. That's my frustration.
10 posts
Well, I'll be damned, in the video, he spells 'patches' with a lowercase 'p' when it should have been an uppercase 'P'. That's what was throwing me for such a loop this whole time. Man, I wish there was a way to contact SideFX and let them know this. But, being an 'Indie' user, no tech support for me. What can I say? I'm still going to try though.

Thank you very much for fixing that for me. Wow, that was frustrating.
236 posts
Hehe, yeah I bet it was. I would still send an email, at the least they could update the pdf.
But you've learned a couple valuable lessons.
First being that the node warnings are there to help you diagnose issues, and secondly that
attributes of all types need to have the same spelling to work. Personally I would never capitalize
an attributes name, it's bad coding practice.

Keep on going with your journey mate, it's worth it. Happy to help you again when you get stuck.
スタッフ
1182 posts
The PDF has been updated and tested in Houdini 19 - the videos need to be changed - I left the video there because it helps show off the general workflow while the PDF has the updated details.

Every tutorial on the website has the author listed at the top - you can click on that and contact the author (me in this case) although I was on vacation through most of December. If you have any other issues you can message me.
Robert Magee
Senior Product Marketing Manager
SideFX
スタッフ
1182 posts
The attribute create node is in your example has the wrong expression - instead of @primnum - you had @getprimnum - @primnum works (wrangle works too but not necessary here) - also in the PDF I recommended calling the attribute "patches" with no caps and it works fine.
Edited by rmagee - 2022年1月4日 11:46:31
Robert Magee
Senior Product Marketing Manager
SideFX
  • Quick Links