Alt key on Linux / MATE to merge nodes in Network view

737   8   1
24 posts
Are you able to alt click to merge nodes in Network View ? This is the Merge SOP node that takes all the outputs of the selected nodes and is added without having to Tab insert it

Currently on Linux Mint 21.2 / MATE, I no longer manage to do this.

The only way I've found so far is to also press Win , so the combo is Win+Alt+Click to merge.
Is there a solution on either side to make it work ? There are plenty of options to change the behavior of alt and Win in Keyboard preferences, but none of them seem to make a difference. I don't mind changing the WM if it helps. I really don't use alt+click to drag windows, and I never use the Win key, so any solution that kills those WM features are acceptable to me.
Edited by alecaille - 2024年1月27日 04:02:46

Attachments:
merge.png (63.7 KB)

7770 posts
alecaille
Are you able to alt click to merge nodes in Network View ?

The only way I've found so far is to also press Win , so the combo is Win+Alt+Click to merge.
Is there a solution on either side to make it work ? There are plenty of options to change the behavior of alt and Win in Keyboard preferences, but none of them seem to make a difference. I don't mind changing the WM if it helps. I really don't use alt+click to drag windows, and I never use the Win key, so any solution that kills those WM features are acceptable to me.

Under window preferences, do you have the movement key set to Alt or Super (win key)? Changing it to Super fixed this issue for me.
24 posts
jsmack
alecaille

Under window preferences, do you have the movement key set to Alt or Super (win key)? Changing it to Super fixed this issue for me.

Can you clarify where this setting is ? I can't even find something named "window preferences "
7770 posts
alecaille
jsmack
alecaille

Can you clarify where this setting is ? I can't even find something named "window preferences "

I'm running a pretty old mate, but it's under system-preferences-windows
24 posts
alecaille
jsmack
alecaille

Sorry I thought you were talking about Houdini
I've actually already changed; this is probably the first thing I tried. It didn't help sadly
7770 posts
what is it you're trying to get the alt key to do? for me it makes a context menu appear for selecting a wire connection
Edited by jsmack - 2024年1月26日 16:21:12
24 posts
jsmack
merge nodes in Network view

Attachments:
merge.png (63.7 KB)

466 posts
jsmack
what is it you're trying to get the alt key to do? for me it makes a context menu appear for selecting a wire connection
You need to select some nodes, press and hold LMB on an output of one of them, drag the wires somewhere, then press down and hold the ALT key and finally release the mouse button. The program will drop a merge node connecting outputs of all selected nodes. Or alternatively, click on an output of one of the selected nodes, move the wires over a free space, then after pressing and holding the ALT key, LMB-click again.

Very convenient feature which I didn't know about. Sadly, I can't be of much help here, as I am on XFCE and this feature works as expected.
24 posts
ajz3d
jsmack
You need to select some nodes, press and hold LMB on an output of one of them, drag the wires somewhere, then press down and hold the ALT key and finally release the mouse button. The program will drop a merge node connecting outputs of all selected nodes. Or alternatively, click on an output of one of the selected nodes, move the wires over a free space, then after pressing and holding the ALT key, LMB-click again.

Very convenient feature which I didn't know about. Sadly, I can't be of much help here, as I am on XFCE and this feature works as expected.

Ok, I got it work as you described. The trick ( right now in my specific setup) is to drag on output and alt-release to merge

Ironically, it doesn't work when the info text is displayed (two single clicks) and works when dragging, but the info text is not displayed.

For reference, it used to work without thinking too much about it; you could just click on one output of a selection, then later choose to merge by finishing with alt+click, or just wire to an existing node or a new node with multiple inputs. Or maybe it was a few months back under W10. For now I'm going to Win+alt click..
  • Quick Links