latest Houdini builds

5816   9   2
37 posts
I cannot get the last 4 or 5 builds of Houdini to install on my HP 310 touchsmart computer. All seems to go well until I try to run the program and then it comes up with this window that says it cannot install the icons, over and over it runs the same fault and when Houdini opens up none of the icons for anything are viewable. Any ideas? I hate not being able to use Houdini. I also have tried disabling the windows firewall and my anitvirus program with no change.
279 posts
Just make a search on this forum. There are a lot of posts about this.
The problem is the permissions on user houdini folder. At the first launch, houdini create icons from svg files. So you must enable permission to write in this folder.
37 posts
Did a search as suggested and tried deleting the svgi icon file but still have problems, some icons are there but incorrect, others are not there at all. Help, please!!
257 posts
Hihi, i dont know if this will work for you but it works for me when houdini needed permission to install apprentice license in Windows.

Right-click on Houdini Icon and “Run as administrator”.

Good luck!
257 posts
Hihi, i dont know if this will work for you but i works for me when houdini needed permission to install apprentice license in Windows.

Right-click on Houdini Icon and “Run as administrator”.

Good luck!
37 posts
Nope. I tried running as administrator and I still have the same problem.
7725 posts
Hmm, it sounds like you've already have your Apprentice licenses installed so that Houdini comes up right? Then try doing this sequence of steps (assuming Windows Vista or above) to fix the icons:

1. Install the latest production build of Houdini 11.
2. Locate your houdini11.0 folder. Right-click on your C: drive in Windows Explorer and do a full file search
3. Rename them all to something else like houdini11.0-old
4. Now start Houdini AS A REGULAR USER. The first time this happens, it will take a while as the icon cache is built. You should wait for this process to complete and the main Houdini window pops up.
37 posts
Below is the error message that keeps repeating in the Houdini Console box

Warning: CUsers/Big-Chuck/Documents/houdini11.0/config/Icons/SVGIcons.cache.serial is not writeable
7725 posts
Big-Chuck
Below is the error message that keeps repeating in the Houdini Console box

Warning: CUsers/Big-Chuck/Documents/houdini11.0/config/Icons/SVGIcons.cache.serial is not writeable

This looks like a permissions problem. Did you try renaming that particular houdini11.0 and NOT starting Houdini as Admin?
37 posts
Thank you, you were absolutely correct. I just bought this computer and when windows 7 was setup on it I was setup as admin. Just added a new standard user on it and Houdini opens correctly. One to file in the memory bank, Thx again, much appreciated!!!
  • Quick Links