I' working on a little side project to make a ground fracture effect. Chel the flipbook attached to see how far I got. My issue now is that I want to figure out what would be the best way to simulate the revolved soil under the slab that breaks. I wanted it to look kind like soil, a bit loose and all and I thought of using FLIP fluids, or some sort of particle effect. But sometimes I think it's overkill to do so and that I could just procedurally animate a deforming plane and use a displacement shader to make it look like soil…
I'd appreciate suggestions, specially if someone has a production proven idea!
I'd say try to do some debris - particles spawning of the inside groups created by the voronoi and attach debris geometry to those, those add some nice detail, also you were going in the right direction with the displacement maps to fake the soil-look, you could even have an animated noise map that gets triggered by the animation, to make it look like there's something moving!
Cool! Thanks for the tips, I like the idea of debris and I was indeed already thinking of using some displacement on the sides of the fragments. I guess I can just use the sides to spawn particles as well