octane render

17323   14   1
120 posts
hello,
I saw Octane render on http://www.refractivesoftware.com/ [refractivesoftware.com] and i find that this render is very impressive..

I contacted Octan et tell for a houdini plugin ..
Octan want not develop this while there is not enough houdini users interessed..

for houdini users interested in Octan, contact them et tell for a plugin, else no plugin…

tell me what you think to octan render, please…

Sorry for my english

Aurélien
691 posts
I agree is a great render engine, i have ask them too if they will develop a plugin for Houdini.
Feel The Knowledge, Kiss The Goat!!!
http://www.linkedin.com/in/alejandroecheverry [linkedin.com]
http://vimeo.com/lordpazuzu/videos [vimeo.com]
120 posts
yes, now know if houdini will too use GPUrender?
someone know?
279 posts
i ask them too for plugin

For houdini, i'm not sure Sidefx will develop a gpu render. Houdini is for entertainment production, and Mantra is a very good render engine to do this.
279 posts
I received an answer from refractivesoftware:

“Hi,

I thought someone must have made a forum post somewhere as i'm being asked this the 4th time via email today.
Can you send me the forum post ?

We don't develop plugins ourselves, afaik, we need someone that knows houdini, has a license and can develop it for us,
as we don't have houding licenses nor any experience with it.

So there's not much point in asking us to make a houdini plugin, we need people who use houdini to find someone in a houdini forum that can do this for us.
Also we've got a lot of plugins in development and it's difficult to manage all of them so the houdini exporter will have to wait a bit before we can start on it,
i can't manage to develop plugins for everything out there at the same time.

Radiance”

I send url from this topic with hope to see a day a plugin for houdini
192 posts
I would imagine in lieu of a full-on plug in, the excellent Houdini rib export functionality will get you a long way in setting up Houdini + Octane right?
345 posts
I have written octane ROP some time ago for my personal purposes. It's not complete but supports animations and most of the octane command line arguments. If you are interested to have a go, pm me.

cheers,
kuba
120 posts
hello, yes i want try your “plugin”.. but i'm not programmer.. I can still use this? it's ease to use?

thank you very much..

Best regard

Aurélien
3 posts
+1 for the octane plugin.
40 posts
Need Octane plugin
120 posts
me too… but must wait… perhaps H12 will be with GPU renderer.. :roll: :roll:
299 posts
If you wan't GPU rendering you can always use Maxwell which got an officially supported Houdini plugin.
Drive, monkey, drive!
120 posts
hello,i'm not sure, but i think Maxwell don't use GPU for rendering, only for preview.. and render are again slow compared to octane render! if it's not right, say me.. but when i used Octane, my render are 20 time more speed that maxwell…

See you

:roll: :roll:
299 posts
Yeah seems its only preview done on GPU at the moment. Had totally missunderstood that.
Drive, monkey, drive!
66 posts
A bit late with this answer, but octanerender mainly uses wavefront .obj files as input, and their materials is incompatible with anything at all(that's expected tbh), so basically all you need is to export .obj and tweak materials inside of octane.

They have free demo on their site, so anyone can test it
wbr, Mudvin
  • Quick Links